Thread: Tennesee Warbler

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tennesee Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

These guys nest here in Minnesota and hope to see some on territory in coming days, but this was taken in Texas at Port Aransas and Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center. Loved the drips and perches around there, and will be there again I hope for a bit next April.

Nikon Z9, Z 600 f/4 TC VR S, 840mm, f 5.6, 1/1000, ISO 1100.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul, super little bird, I quite like the framing albeit perhaps a sliver more to the LHS and less to the right. Looks quite a prickly perch for the wee fellow to land on, but I ike it, different.

Techs look good albeit you can still push the ISO for a little more SS just in case of any slight movement. Overall colours look a bit too Saturated and the subject to me is just on the cusp of being over sharp, but just. If you Arte again using Detail extractor, ditch it, every thing else is lovely and crisp and by adding this adjustment, its hurting the image. The green BKG is nice but again I feel you may have upped it as there is a slight p[posterisation.

Paul, you have a super image, all very pin sharp which is great, I just feel backing off on the desire to add richness is masking what you originally captured.

The attached is just my initial thought, not knowing the subject the adjustments are a broad stroke, but ultimately reducing your Blacks/Contrast/Saturation globally, then going cooler on the WB (Blue) and moving the Tint slider saying into the Magenta range balances out the hefty cast however you can be refined even more. Just my take, hope it helps, BTW what do you use for raw conversion?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Thank you, not much was done to colors at all; I did not add to saturation in post. I do use detail extractor but only on the bird and at about 25% or less while brushing. May tone down WB too a touch.

Thanks!
    Paul

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, if you have kept the Tiff with all of its adjustments still in tact, not flattened, just turn off the layer with Detail extract and repost. I bet it looks better. What are you using for raw conversion?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice detail you managed on this one Paul! OP was too yellow the WB on the repost is much better. I do find mys=elf wishing you had more room on the LHS bridge feels a bit too centered. But still nicely done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the OP was way too yellow, so the repost is a big improvement as far as WB goes. I also agree with needing more space at left. Great bird on a super nice perch and good BG.