Thread: Kentucky Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kentucky Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been AWOL for some time, with family and physical issues keeping me from getting into the field as much as I would like. But when I heard that there was an accessible Kentucky Warbler a half-hour from home, I couldn't resist. This has been a nemesis bird for me, having only seen them a few times and with only one previous ID shot. I could hear him singing as soon as I got out of the car, but after the better part of three hours watching him feed among the leaves of very tall trees, this was one of the few images of him on an open perch. I could nitpick: too steep, mantle and coverts noisy, mottled sun and shade, etc. But I'm pleased finally to add the species to my warbler portfolio.

a1. 200-600 W/ 1.4 TC, ISO 4000, f/9 @ 1/1250s.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, these can be really skulky, so you did well to get anything in the open, even if in heavy shade. I'm constantly amazed at what that lens/combo can do, but f/9 is really, really tough in forest.
    You can't do anything about the disengaged head angle, but I'm curious if you could try to tease any detail from the blacks; they're very heavy as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi,

stay healthy Bill.
    I wish you well.when it comes to the photo, very yellow and green are very dominant :)It's a beautiful genre, it was fun to watch. thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on spotting and photographing it! I agree with your critique Bill, but you had tough circumstances here. Glad to see you online - hope things will bounce back for you soon. Family and health are always priority!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great bird and an excellent self critique. I have seen maybe two in 47 years :-)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all.