Thread: Jay

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks another image from the failed " Buzzard Hide " ....
    Just took the opportunity to capture the Jay that came closer , there were 3 or 4 around ... but only this one allowed me to move the lens ever so slightly to compose the frame . The others spooked away with the slightest movement of the lens

Canon EOS 1Dx III
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 560 mm
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/2000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 ; slight crop and a very small amount of clean up on the stump and FG

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Andreas, but to me it looks/appears a bit thin, tonally it looks light....

Personally I think going warmer on the WB, less cool and reducing the green tint the Jay begins to look more in keeping, but you were there, it's my old eyes. Perhaps a bit more image to look into on the LHS might have been nice or even, if you had time to quickly rotate the lens to have shot it Landscape and have the option.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like the image. I wish the out of focus stump wasn't in the image but that's life. Not have Steve's eyes for color and detail all looks good to me. The shape and size of the bird looks very similar to the Florida Scrub Jay here but the colors are different. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Joe for your comments , much appreciated .

Steve ... will take a look when i do have time and a proper screen what i can do about the subjects tonal depth . No need to go warmer or changing the tint , IMHO .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting and don't mind the OOF stump behind; it's not ideal but nor it is a deal breaker. My main thought is that the BG overpowers the bird since the subject isn't directly illuminated. Steve's suggestion about the color is interesting. Perhaps if the pink was less green it would pop a bit more and help the subject crack more than it does now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here you go a slightly edited version ...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Andreas, I like both versions though I think I may be tempted to make the colours a little richer on the Jay, I appreciate they vary from one bird to another and they are not rich in colour/tone but I do think just a little more would be good.