Thread: Kingfisher (M) ISO 8000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kingfisher (M) ISO 8000

Attached Images Attached Images

One from the last session. Light was dire, but... I know the HA may have issues, but again the KF attention was on the Jay squawking. The perch is all natural apart from the stem going into the water.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (M) (Alcedo atthis)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    *Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO8000
    Original format: Landscape, width FF
    Processed via: LRCC 12.3, RT & PS'23 24.4.1

* The 100-500 is an awesome lens for the cost. razor sharp!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I really like the perch, background, feather detail and color palette of the image. That leaves me wishing I could see more of the bird, I guess that is because the image is well done. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I really like the perch, background, feather detail and color palette of the image. That leaves me wishing I could see more of the bird, I guess that is because the image is well done. Thank you for sharing.
    Hi Joe, thanks.

You will get to see more images of the whole subject in the coming weeks, I just want to put some images out there that I think are different, others may feel not, but worth a punt, albeit this is perhaps more 'marmite' unlike wildlife ones.

FYI I have totally change both my Photo approach and my PP workflow, since the various upgrades and from what I have learnt from Canon & Adobe, allowing for images (I think) to be better rendered, but still all the keystone basics are the same as they are fundamental to the process.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve,

Surprise -- the head angle looks fine to me, as do the colors and tones.

What do you mean by this: "The perch is all natural apart from the stem going into the water."?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What do you mean by this: "The perch is all natural apart from the stem going into the water."?
    The previous perch posted had moss 'clumped' on the perch, this is all natural and attached to the main branch in the water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...
    i kinda like the awkward looking pose of the KF , just think horizontal is not ideal .
    Overall image looks very nice with lovely fine details rendered ... colors matter of taste ... just think for a overcast light the feet and the breast are too vibrant for my taste . Love the mottled BG and the unusual perch !

To be honest I can't see any performance jumps in your output files , whatever you have learnt from Mr Canon or Mr Adobe .... might be different with the full res version .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

i kinda like the awkward looking pose of the KF , just think horizontal is not ideal .
    This was more luck than judgement as I previously was shooting landscape when the Jay perched up, so only had time to move the frame down rather than into portrait mode.

To be honest I can't see any performance jumps in your output files , whatever you have learnt from Mr Canon or Mr Adobe .... might be different with the full res version .
    A lot is like PP, very subtle. but the refinements make a difference. It's all all about 'Evolution Andreas, not Revolution'.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1277279]This was more luck than judgement as I previously was shooting landscape when the Jay perched up, so only had time to move the frame down rather than into portrait mode.

Been there myself ... so i can appreciate the dilemma , but the R5 should allow hefty cropping to create a vertical . At least for social media posting

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great to me, colours and details, I like the pose on this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon, there is another one sitting in the wings, slightly diffent…