Thread: Polar Bear waiting by a seal hole

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar Bear waiting by a seal hole

Attached Images Attached Images

Time for a change of subject, an adult Polar bear quietly sitting in the pack ice awaiting for a seal to pop up for some air. Based on his expression he wasn't impressed with our arrival!

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO320 EV +1
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop for crop FF width
    Processed via: LRC 12.3, RT & PS24.4.1
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-13-2023 at 10:34 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .. technically nicely done and the expression is ok , but the image does not really grab me that much to be honest . For sure I would have taken the shot myself ... and I would be happy to have this in my collection .
    Wonder what you would look like in your Ghillie suite and a folk is asking you in the field ... how far is the reach of your telescope , you might also turn around and have the same expression in your face .
    All color , tones and fine details are top notch

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, just wanted to post something that wasn't Africa again...
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I like the look-back pose, and the detail in the wet fur. Good separation between the tones of the ice and the white fur - sure it's a challenge managing exposure in this environment.
    I can see this working as a portrait crop as well, removing that dark blotch in the ice top left.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

Love the pose and expression from this polar bear and framing is great. The look he gave you is priceless. I particularly like the colours here and that bit of detail on the ice.

I said this to you recently and I'll say it again - you always make the best of every opportunity! Super techs and beautiful detail, a well balanced and well exposed image with lots to look at. PP is superb.

Wishing you a great week ahead, and thank you so much for sharing. As always, a pleasure to view

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back Gabriela, once you get all your workload and friends out the way, hopefully you can then jump back in.

Don't forget to update all Adobe stuff ASAP, any questions you know where I am, plus you need to get to grips with the Remove tool that will be added to Adobe PS, but I know you will have a great start once you get back into the hot seat.

Enjoy the week head, and don't start editing just yet!!!

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Welcome back Gabriela, once you get all your workload and friends out the way, hopefully you can then jump back in.

Don't forget to update all Adobe stuff ASAP, any questions you know where I am, plus you need to get to grips with the Remove tool that will be added to Adobe PS, but I know you will have a great start once you get back into the hot seat.

Enjoy the week head, and don't start editing just yet!!!

Steve
    Thank you very much Steve

A bit hectic at work today and on top of everything month end is looming...Peter N. arriving on Friday, yay! BTW I might grab a few more images as we are planning to spoil him with a few game drives. Err...I will of course skip work and join, naughty me

So from the 1st of June things should go back to normal, I suppose just the right time for me to start editing, right? Going to do the updates tonight, no editing I promiseMaybe just go through the folders and look, delete a few, keep the rest

Hope you too have a great week, and I will get in touch every now and then and let you know what goes on

Wishing you a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Peter H flies out this weekend, they are trying to organise a TV slot. Sounds like it’s still full on, I’m heading north tomorrow so just drop me a line as and when. Let me know once you have Adobe sorted, also might be worth updating to Ventura, but only if you feel confident and things don’t get screwed.

Looking forward to seeing things come to fruition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Gabriela, Peter H flies out this weekend, they are trying to organise a TV slot. Sounds like it’s still full on, I’m heading north tomorrow so just drop me a line as and when. Let me know once you have Adobe sorted, also might be worth updating to Ventura, but only if you feel confident and things don’t get screwed.

Looking forward to seeing things come to fruition.
    Steve, I had a brief chat with Peter H last night about some spots he would like to visit and gave him some contacts, I am sure the folks will be able to help.

And I will get in touch with you as soon as I have done the update, been postponing the Ventura but I think I must go for it. Hope things don't get pear shaped, do not want to buy a new computer, still waiting for that lens

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-22-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea