Thread: Kingfisher (M)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kingfisher (M)

Attached Images Attached Images

Just started back at the hide, as the male had been very busy digging chambers for the female ready for laying eggs. He's been very active and have given them space, albeit now have a Schedule 1 Licence.

I like the qerky HA, as it looked up as the Jay flew by, it was mostly overcast until this was taken and the sun broke through so a tad bright,,, with the bill tip was pin sharp at the end!

Usual suspects are around but sadly not the Sparrow hawk.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (M) (Alcedo atthis)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC 12.3 & PS'23 24.1.0
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super processing Steve but the image gives me the impression I am looking upwards to the bird so for me the angle is not ideal. I also feel the vertical paler area in the background is a bit of a distraction. Correct me if I am wrong but the lichen on the perch, well it does not appear credible to me, the bright fused OOF area on the lichen is also a little distracting. Sounds a bit picky but having said that the plumage is shown beautifully.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, not picky, but I was expecting it.

The angle, I did know land knew there would be a ‘steep’ angle, but I like the quirky aspect, totally different when with the 100-500 I pull back.

Moss, just to add interest, better ones to come… blob is where DoF falls off.

As I said previously, both shooting aspect & PP has changed in many respects, with IMHO better results, a total mind shift in thinking and application.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very well exposed and colours are stunning, Steve. PP work is superb.

Don't mind the angle - it is indeed unusual... but I too feel it draws the eye and I like seeing something different

You must have been fairly close, do you think F10 would have made a difference in terms of the 'blob', or not really?

Do like the framing, a lot. Sharpness and detail as expected...

Enjoyed viewing, very much. Learning something every time you post an image, going to try bring some avian shots from Kruger... hope I get lucky, would love to see some owls

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wish the bird had been looking straight ahead and not tilted upwards .....That's the only nit I have....everything else looks great....As presented it looks like the bird is above the viewer.....Brilliant colours on the bird....The lighter area on the BG seems to 'fit in' with the image....A wee bit more below as the tail is too close to the edge.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp with lovely colors. I could live with the steep shooting angle but the white vertical (o-o-f background tree?) and the o-o-f white blob of lichens forward of the feet combine to become image killers.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all and yes, it’s a tree in the BKG Artie on the opposite bank.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Colors and feather detail look spot on. The tree in the background is unfortunate. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Joe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, Did you set up the lichen perch?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, Did you set up the lichen perch?
    Hi Artie, I honestly can't remember. We have various perches to pick from, (sourced from all over) some are with natural moss growing/weathered, some may have some it draped to make the perch more 'attractive', but being so light it's easily moved if the subject lands. Often I use two, but the location is near a public footpath, the hide is where it is so the light is what it is, no chance of moving because of the bushes/vegetation, but the perches are in water so the KF can fish, in addition dogs like to run up and down the river, which they are not suppose to do, so the can get knocked.. The Male has just dived and gone straight to the nest chamber, so no chance of him catching and stunning the fish. Flash & triggers are not an option.

Currently we hope there might be more action, but what plans and how I next shoot is very flexible currently, it just depends on the day.... just keeping my powder dry.

Hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It should be relatively easy to at least darken the bright streak with the burn tool in order to minimize its impact. Otherwise pretty nice image with good colours and sharpness. Maybe a touch more room? Especially for the tail that is a bit close to the edge. Sounds like you have fun and challenges with these guys, looking forward to more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe a touch more room? Especially for the tail that is a bit close to the edge. Sounds like you have fun and challenges with these guys, looking forward to more!
    Cheers Dan and yes totally agree. Having shot this I pulled back and think it was more of an optimum frame by doing so, will post in due course. Yes, been fortunate and they have given some fun times, so no we have to be respectful during incubation time. Let's just hope their alarm clock for hatch is in agreement to our thinking too.