ISO : 2000
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Shutter : 1/4000 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice mud gathering pose. May I assume that this is already cropped? Either way, why but the bird so close to the center? Much of the breast is grayed out.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi artie, yes this is cropped to approx 4200x 3100 then resized. I placed him there using rule of thirds as a guide, I suppose I could have moved him back to the left a little bit. The breast looks fine to me, it is soil stained and given the light angle the duller area is what I expect. I can still see detail there.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, again a nice capture, but for me it has suffered with these fuzzy BKG bokeh's. The flying mud is over sharp so it appears pasted on and the subject I feel isn't quite pin sharp, in areas I would mask the sharpening. Greens look to bright and might glow in the dark , again just pull it back, but I know you have no control over the Conversion. Was the soil sprinkled with fertiliser, it has a 'peppered' look?

I might go more Pillbox and push the subject left if IQ will allow and so remove the other truncated subject out of frame.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I agree with your comments, though I am puzzled over no control over conversion, I don't understand do you mean to DNG? If so I can use ACR or DxO - very similar in results, sometimes a slight exposure alteration in DxO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't understand do you mean to DNG? If so I can use ACR or DxO - very similar in results, sometimes a slight
    Sorry Jon, missed you said you converted via Adobe. DX Pure if that is what you refer to then it doesn't create a true DNG file, plus as we have said before, you hit the button it produces a Tiff to what it thinks rather than having options in other Converters. As this is done in ACR/PS then I think it stems from the original file and the Sharpening action.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a repost hopefully addressing some of the issues mentioned above. The soil is adjacent to a barn and the soil in this area is sandy so I am guessing the paler aspects are sand grains and or dried organic material.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's better and going in the right direction to a degree Jon, but it's mainly the file creating these messy FG/BKGs.

Sharpening needs to be applied rather than a script, unless you have changed your WF again? Only then can you apply more or less to designated areas with a gentle hand. You don't say how big a crop or not?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    It's better and going in the right direction to a degree Jon, but it's mainly the file creating these messy FG/BKGs.

Sharpening needs to be applied rather than a script, unless you have changed your WF again? Only then can you apply more or less to designated areas with a gentle hand. You don't say how big a crop or not?
    Steve sharpening was minimal and applied to subject only, i.e. with a mask, crop round figure 3400 x2300, 7.7MP

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon....I do like the repost better.....I think you have captured the House Martin well....the colours look good....I like the POV...Still waiting for them to arrive up here.

Will

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is better.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post