Thank You Posts

Default Osprey

Attached Images Attached Images

1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/4
    1/2000
    ISO 3200

This is another from my time with the Ospreys a while back......From a sunken hide....It was a very cold morning which formed a sheet of mist on the surface of the loch....As the sun rose, the heat helped to remove most of the mist......But, some remained....that's when I captured this Osprey ...Processed with ACR and PS.

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really super image Will, I would love to take something like that. terrific action and the overall composition looks really dynamic.
    I appreciate this is early morning and I suspect the overall appearance would be on the blue side, but I wonder if the image is carrying a little too much blue?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will this is a stonker of a capture, well done!

The WB needs to go warmer, it's currently carrying too much Blue, but you need to get more of the 'guts' of the image out in your PP, it's all there, so you have 'contrast' but don't add it, it will kill it.

The NR is too much, peg it back.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Jon and Steve......Yes, the warmer image looks better....At the time of capture, as I said, the sun had just come up, and still a bit of mist about, it was just above freezing.....The original, I tried to keep as it was captured, but due to the mist and the available light it did look too cold....so thanks for warming it up, as presented on here it does look better....Steve regarding the NR, I am still experimenting with the new AI in ACR.....I set it at 100% for this image, I take it that is too strong for ISO 3200.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will:

Dynamic image, the sunken hide really gives it a great POV. Splashes help, angle in frame excellent.

I get trying to capture the appearance of the moment, re: atmospheric conditions, etc. Since most of my loon shots are very early in the day, they often are very cool re: color temperature. I will often try to warm it up a bit, but not lose the feel of the moment.

I have been tinkering with the LR AI noise reduction, but start at 50% or less, and the adjust as needed. I always try to err on the side of as little noise reduction to do the job at the final viewing size.

Nice one!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve regarding the NR, I am still experimenting with the new AI in ACR.....I set it at 100% for this image, I take it that is too strong for ISO 3200.
    As I stated elsewhere, NR and what you use often comes back to the original file, because some do a better job than others. Jury is still out for me within Lr which I guess is the same as ACR. Pulling the % back does to a degree help and ISO3200 it needs minimal, but apply this as your first adjustment Will, not your last before exporting out as a Tiff to PS as you might find it bites you in the rear with Masks within ACR or Lr!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post