Thread: Bufflehead Spinnin' Its Wheels

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bufflehead Spinnin' Its Wheels

Attached Images Attached Images

I had a lot fun fun with these small ducks recently. We get them every year for a couple of weeks as they pass through the area during spring migration. Like many other diving ducks, these guys have a running start along the water before getting airborne. I loved the "Looney Tunes" pose here, and can just hear the cartoon's sound effects as well

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/4000s., f/5.6, ISO 800. Tamed the "harsh" contrast via dodge and burn, cleaned up the eye, cropped for composition (about 70% FF)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fun frame of this little speedster; they are one of the most difficult ducks to get in flight! Wings are in good position, and the dangling feet are super fun. Your attempts to even out the exposure on the lights and darks looks good.
    Wide crop to get more of the splash behind was wise. A really nice result.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really liking this....and yes I can hear the looney tunes in my head.. ....Very well processed Dan, it has a 3D effect....Great pose and POV....The feet and splash is super cool...Good detail and colours throughout.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sweet yet funny. I love it and am envious. I would like to see even more of the splash behind the bird. So, the next time, push yourself by trying for the "wake shot" original and put the bird on the right (our right) side of the frame.

Perhaps Topaz Sharpen AI on the eye and the front half of the face?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Well done. One of my absolute nemesis birds, around here they are very spooky. About the only time they will tolerate me is during the courtship season when they are a bit distracted!

POV, angle in frame, flying water, pose, all good! Nicely exposed too.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the dynamic frame low angle and the water drops. agree with sharpening the head more . one of my fav ducks

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic grab here Daniel. The thing that stands out the most, even on top of the fun sprinter pose and gorgeous backdrop is the thin dof.

Having attempted ducks taking off while shooting at ground level I can really appreciate this one. They're hard enough when swimming and diving.

This is a memorable gem for me. Thank you for sharing!