Thread: Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)

Attached Images Attached Images

I went to what is now my local heathland, it is full of wildlife, but almost equally full of dog walkers and dogs! I originally went to see if any Hairstreak species butterflies had emerged but I couldn't ignore the challenge of trying to get a mammal shot. I soon discovered a patch of brambles and noticed that this young rabbit was around. I waited until it went in the thicket and then managed to get myself under a small tree and hunkered down and just waited. Sure enough it appeared, amongst all the brambles of course, patience paid off, I just waited until he came out into the most photogenic space. I managed a few images ... then I was greeted by a dog walker who asked if I had seen anything!!
    I will be returning to get more.

Hand held, OM-1: OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5 TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1000.0mm
    ISO : 640
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    f 5.6

ACR/PSCC

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cute subject, Jon. So delicate and small. Seen many hares in the Forum but not rabbits, so a first for me I think...

Good pose and nice head angle, composition works well. I might do a tad more noise reduction to the background if this were mine, and perhaps a tiny bit more sharpening on the subject's face and especially eye.

Image well exposed with natural colours. Perhaps you could add more 'pop' with a curve adjustment... but all up to you.

Patience indeed paid off and I am glad you took your time, such lovely sighting! Enjoyed viewing, hope you got more images of this tiny fellow

Warmest regards and many thanks for sharing,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... the Rabbit looks sweet in posing as does everything else and your fieldcraft paid off .
    I do like the darker BG das it does make the FG stand out more

The image is lacking sharpness though ....

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Andreas. I did wonder about the sharpness, I can review. I am not making excuses but I wonder if there was some slight shimmering, it had been a frosty night and the sun had been out and recently warmed up the vegetation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good to see your local wildlife again, Jon.

Nice use of the available soft light. I agree with Gabriela - needs a bit of "pop", and perhaps a little more sharpening on the hare?
    I was going to ask about getting a lower POV, but note the already OOF area below which would be exacerbated by going lower.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Jon,

congratulations Jon, color detail texture everything is in place. I loved it. I fell in love with your eyes.