Thread: Pileated Woodpecker On A Favorite Tree.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pileated Woodpecker On A Favorite Tree.

Attached Images Attached Images

This male of the species worked on this tree for a good 20 minutes or so while I was there. Enough time to line up the only tree in the background that had its dried leaves still attached. For woodpeckers I normally prefer getting a bit closer and photographing verticals (which I also did), but thought this version showing much more of the well-worked on tree was more effective as a story-telling element.

The falling snow was wreaking havoc on the AF, it just did not want o lock on to the subject, so this was manually focused, using focus-peak as visual confirmation of accurate focus.

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 3200, handheld (lens barrel braced on the side of a tree), FF, a few of the more obstructing snow flakes removed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... a lovely and pretty subject captured , love the winter feel with the falling snow .
    Colors looking nice .
    Just think the tree is overwhelming the subject ... I guess matter of taste .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely "habitat" image Daniel. Love the snowflakes, overall composition and detail in both the bird and tree. I'm noticing a halo around the back of the bird and a less pronounced one on the bird's belly...minor nit pic though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, that's great. I usually go vertical for woodpeckers, but the horizontal works well because 1) it shows the massive holes in the trunk and 2) minimizes the distraction of the overhead branch.
    Colors behind the bird are very nice, and snow is a really sweet capper. Detail on face is very nice. I also like that we can see the near leg/foot. Halo on back as noted by Paul. Really nice though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Dorian's take on this. I normally would go vertical also, but like this comp quit a bit for the reasons he stated. I also love the fading snow. Nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

I have rarely seen a pileated picture with snow falling, so really appreciate that. Leaves are nice too. I would be tempted to crop from the left to the edge of the bark.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kill me please. The perfect framing, the hole with the snow in the ULC, the falling snow, the o-o-f yellow leaves, the flaming red crest, and the yellow iris. A truly beautiful image. You might call it birds as art.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

8. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post