Thread: Common Gallinule (Florida)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Gallinule (Florida)

More from Florida, before I headed off to guide in Hawaii.

A common bird photographed on a birding outing. Crop is a bit heavier than usual since
    I was carrying my 100-400 instead of my 600, but I'm happy with this result.

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II at 400mm on EOS R5
    1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 1000
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz DN

Name:  common gallinule 020923.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  511.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great indeed - I'd be very happy with this! So skittish up here and way too far, and they were too tame when I was in the Dominican Republic and way too close, so I had no chance at "Goldilocks" distance for appealing full-body images like this. Perfect head turn, and I love the duckweed-covered water surface. Don't forget, if you have a 1.4TC that lens takes it very well!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic look at one..I would not change a thing.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Dorian! Echo the positive comments, but I am noticing a faint halo around the bird, but that's my only nitpic.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this one Dorian! Not common for me to see these out of the water standing on a moss covered floor, so I really dig this. No nits from me, looks top notch!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hello Dorian,

congratulations. Clear and beautiful as always. I agree with Paul, very subtle look but there is some :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Nice one Dorian! Echo the positive comments, but I am noticing a faint halo around the bird, but that's my only nitpic.
    Yeah, I tried and tried to get rid of the halo; when I couldn't, I settled for minimizing it. Must be something about the hard dark on the perfectly clear light which allows it to persist.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dorian ... a good solid shot of this species . With your typical parameters ... low angle and smooth BG . The head turn is taking this up a notch .

Tones looking good ... but there is an overall magenta cast to it , IMHO . For sure matter of taste .
    Well the halo ... simple sharpening " issue " .... I know you like DNAI , this one shows why I do not like it the BG is too smooth for my personal taste .Even when zooming in in PS no sign of pixels , a typical sign of Topaz use . As I rather prefer some " living " grain in the OOF parts of an image and not the plastic look .

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Dorian, neat image. Processing looks good, colors look good comparing to the birds I see often. I wish more of the feet showed (I like feet) but you could not control that. Thank you for sharing.

Here's a way to get rid of that halo in most instances. It normally is when a dark color transitions to a lighter, something in the processing or sharpening. This it what you do to get rid of it in Photoshop. Select the Clone Stamp, make sure the brush is very soft. Change the Mode at the top to Darken. For a PC Alt click the background near where you want to remove the halo. Brush over the area of halo, any tones/colors lighter then the background will be darkened to match the background. Work your way around the dark haloed areas of the bird. After done do not forget tdo change the Mode back to Normal. Here is your image as an example.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot, I think some mask blending and or feathering would have helped.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hey Dorian, neat image. Processing looks good, colors look good comparing to the birds I see often. I wish more of the feet showed (I like feet) but you could not control that. Thank you for sharing.

Here's a way to get rid of that halo in most instances. It normally is when a dark color transitions to a lighter, something in the processing or sharpening. This it what you do to get rid of it in Photoshop. Select the Clone Stamp, make sure the brush is very soft. Change the Mode at the top to Darken. For a PC Alt click the background near where you want to remove the halo. Brush over the area of halo, any tones/colors lighter then the background will be darkened to match the background. Work your way around the dark haloed areas of the bird. After done do not forget tdo change the Mode back to Normal. Here is your image as an example.
    That's a pretty sweet trick. Thanks Joe.