Thread: Red-footed Booby (Hawaii)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-footed Booby (Hawaii)

Just back from leading a ten-day, three-island birding tour -- Oahu, Kauai, Big Island -- through the 50th state. We spent most of our time ferreting out endemic birds, many of
    which are experiencing precipitous population declines as the globe warms and mosquitos move up the mountainsides; Hawaii's birds didn't evolve resistance in the isolated
    oceanic environment, so the arrival of disease-carring mosquitos has spelled doom for many species. There's a very good chance that some of the species we saw will be
    extinct in my lifetime. If you're think about going to HI, don't screw around. Go now. Even better, come with me next March (but only if you're a birder as photo is secondary).

I didn't have much time to shoot while birdfinding for clients, but I did bust out the big rig at Kilauea Point on Kauai. Light was flat, but that helped control the exposure on
    this Red-footed Booby as it returned to its proto-nest with additional building material.

I added a sliver of canvas at the top and bottom as bird buzzed very close!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 800
    Processed in LR, PS, and Topaz

Now housesitting in Tennessee for 12 days. Then a week in Kansas City. Then Omaha. Then Denver. Then Salt Lake. Then fly to Miami to lead 10-day spring birding tour.
    Then home to California for two days. Then to Ohio to guide at Biggest Week Festival for a week. Then home to CA for good on May 7. After that who ****ing knows.......?

Name:  red-footed booby 030523.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  583.9 KB
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 03-14-2023 at 09:32 PM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got the techs dead right and I reckon you would have needed perfect early morning or late evening light to better this. Even then I doubt it could show up the details any better, including the whites. I would move the bird back just a touch in the frame. No big deal. The nesting timber adds to the action.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Busy guy! Pose, focus, exposure great. Probably tough (as the bird was close) to position any better in frame without adding canvas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian .. a nice view to the subject , the head turn and the nesting material is looking good .
    Love the color contrast between ocean and subject .
    Details and sharpness are spot on ... just a bit tight all around for my taste .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice. Background contrasts nicely with the bird. Sharp wing tip to wing tip.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, neat bird, nesting material a bonus. The processing looks spot on to me, the bird gave you a wonderful bank with both wings extended. I love the ocean background. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rally. nice exposure and great flight pose. I also love the dark ocean BG, really makes this pop!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with all the positives above....All looks good to me...Nice colours throughout and I like the look of the eye...If you ever visit Scotland, give me a shout

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My goodness this rocks!! I like everything about it....only thing is that reading about your upcoming schedule made my head spin lol.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed it - super shot......maybe just a little more space all round as Andreas mentioned.