Thread: Wood Thrush, Too flashy?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood Thrush, Too flashy?

Attached Images Attached Images

I think everyone has their nemesis species, Wood Thrushes are one of mine. I can never seem to catch one out in a reasonable amount of light.
    Last spring I decided to give it a try with fill flash and audio. I normally set my flash to -1.7ev but the bird was consistently too far off so I bumped
    it to -1.3ev. Of course the bird then flew in and landed less than 20 ft from me. Only cropped from horizontal to a 4x5 vertical composition. I guess
    I should feel a little dirty for actually liking this image. Without a flash this would have been a noisy mess and there is enough light in the background
    such that it's not black.
    Nikon Z9, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    f5.6, 1/1250s, iso500

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good to me Jack, the background and subject seem pretty well balanced. The single highlight in the eye would make me wonder if iflash was used, otherwise I am not sure use of flash would have occurred to me. Only when you say flash was used I would think that the highlight is small and very hard edged and possibly some feathers on the chest /belly look like the flash had glanced them.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture and I know what you went through trying to get the shot. We have all been there. Looks good and I probably wouldn't have guessed flash. After looking at it the breast does give off a pearl sheen in the whites. Which is pretty neat. Not sure if you would have got that without the flash.TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The sheen on the belly feathers had me thinking flash (I didn't even clue-in on the title's true meaning until after lol) - but it is subtle enough to not detract. This has been a nemesis bird for me, even with audio - I have zero files on them. The Hermits and the Veeries much more accommodating for me. Maybe this upcoming season!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed the sheen is a dead giveaway.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image of a difficult subject. For me, a bit less flash would have been better, as would a better head angle.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.