Thread: Merlin Fanning Its Tail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Merlin Fanning Its Tail.

Attached Images Attached Images

This beautiful little raptor was a daily visitor for a few weeks early this winter near a local feeding station, and pretty much decimated the Mourning Dove population at that spot. I was hoping to see it during one of the very few days I have for photography, so I was pleased when early one weekend morning it showed up on some frosted birch branches and spread its tail feathers after a round of preening. A bit steeper than I prefer, but I'll take it!

Canon R6 + 100-400L II + 1.4TC III @560mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/8, ISO 3200, full-frame, minor cleanup, deeper contrast and saturation to taste to bring the dull raw file to life.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

The tail flare and raised foot add interest, and the diagonal branches work well. Perhaps a bit too much negative space on the right side. Tried a more squarish crop, might work. The strong diagonal lines still worked with the more square crop.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely frame you have here! Love the fanned out tail feathers, the snowy perch and the diagonal branches really make the comp work well. I actually like the negative space here and think it looks better than the squarish crop would. Really nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

I should have seen it from the beginning! A high key bird landscape shot. My bad

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, I really like the image. The snow scene is something I don't see here. The fanned tail adds interest, as always the techs look spot on. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com