Thread: European Kingfisher ( F ) IX

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Kingfisher ( F ) IX

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks another shot of the lady , this time with fish
    A larger crop in both versions
    Crazy high SS , I was ready to shoot her when she starts diving ... and did not want to change constantly the shutter .

Canon EOS R 3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm
    Tripod

Shot in portrait orientation

F 7,1 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/4000 sec

Processed with DPP and PSCC 2023 ; cropped for comp in both versions

Which one would you prefer ?? Let me know

Thanks for watching and commenting to all the latest postings

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

here you go landscape

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both I would think the distinction for me would be if I was going to print. Colours lookd ideal, you may wish to consider bottom right corner where the background is a little "stripey".
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 02-28-2023 at 05:49 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Andreas. I would be happy with either. What not to like, beautiful bird nicely shown, prey in the birds bill facing towards the viewer, pure background, interesting perch all work for a nice image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas: I love the bird, its colourings, the fish and the water droplets. I prefer the landscape orientation for the overall position of the bird, but prefer the BG in the portrait version as it has less distracting lines/patches...namely the lemon patches around the beak and to the right, as well as the sections in the LRC Jonathan refers to. Only nit pic is that I'd wish for the feet to be more in focus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to see you got some decent light. The colors and details are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I think you're really caught between the crops as neither is ideal.

You're really on top of this bird, so I suspect f/7.1 gives you some depth of field. Sadly, f/7.1 at 400mm isn't gonna blur
    the BG much; that leaves you with the uneven spotting you note in the horizontal orientation. And the perch and bird
    aren't really upright enough for a vertical.

My question - As this is a set-up, why hasn't it been optimized with a better perch and/or for use with a 500/4 or a 600/4?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Glad to see you got some decent light. The colors and details are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I think you're really caught between the crops as neither is ideal.

You're really on top of this bird, so I suspect f/7.1 gives you some depth of field. Sadly, f/7.1 at 400mm isn't gonna blur
    the BG much; that leaves you with the uneven spotting you note in the horizontal orientation. And the perch and bird
    aren't really upright enough for a vertical.

My question - As this is a set-up, why hasn't it been optimized with a better perch and/or for use with a 500/4 or a 600/4?
    Optimized what for ... for the peanut gallery , for sure not
    You are asking for stuff that is not possible , due to the simple reason .... that is not my set up and I have to take things as they are . Wether it is the distance or the angle of shooting to the subject . On the first images I posted you were complaining about limited DOF ... now I stopped down ... and you are complaining about the BG ( can't change the BG as it gets contrasty with nice light , so what should I do ) . I do feel puzzled ...
    If shooting with the 500 or 600 not a single diving shot would have been possible .... at least not with my skills . Maybe you could have done it ... with the 600, the KF filling the frame and you manage to get him diving . With your wonderful 600 you could have not even start to photograph there ... unless you can focus at 4m

Nor do I understand what is wrong with the horizontal crop ...

But I do appreciate your honest thoughts , just can't follow them .

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 03-01-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon , Paul and Joe for your kind comments , much appreciated .

I am with you about the BG , it can be improved in parts . I just overlooked it .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Optimized what for ... for the peanut gallery , for sure not
    You are asking for stuff that is not possible , due to the simple reason .... that is not my set up and I have to take things as they are . Wether it is the distance or the angle of shooting to the subject . On the first images I posted you were complaining about limited DOF ... now I stopped down ... and you are complaining about the BG ( can't change the BG as it gets contrasty with nice light , so what should I do ) . I do feel puzzled ...
    If shooting with the 500 or 600 not a single diving shot would have been possible .... at least not with my skills . Maybe you could have done it ... with the 600, the KF filling the frame and you manage to get him diving . With your wonderful 600 you could have not even start to photograph there ... unless you can focus at 4m

Nor do I understand what is wrong with the horizontal crop ...

But I do appreciate your honest thoughts , just can't follow them .

Cheers Andreas
    I'm not complaining about anything. I'm pointing out the EXACT same thing as other people re: the blotchy background. Paul wrote, "prefer the BG in the portrait version as it has less distracting lines/patches..."

There's nothing grossly wrong with the BG, but at least two of us have commented it could be smoother. I'm simply trying to understand how it works at this location as I've not shot there. It sounds like the blind is stationary (i.e. not mobile)? Knowing that it's 4m to the subject is helpful. And knowing you want flight shots is also helpful. Most set-ups are optimized to control for variables like background, so I'm curious what the situation is at this location. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong; it sounds like limitations of this particular set-up. And if that's the case, I'm curious what, if anything, you can do to alter it. The photographer has control over everything at a set-up, so a perfect BG seems like a given. I'm not complaining about your very nice shot; I'm trying to understand the circumstances under which it was captured.
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 03-01-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your reply Dorian ...
    I did the best I could do under the given circumstances ...
    Regarding your question what I can alter ... well change the perches , but not really their positions . For a simple reason ... the KF lady is coming to that spot as she get offered fish in a square container with mesh on all sides . The container is in the water and it's upper border is about 3 cm above the surface , to keep the fish inside the container . She receives two times a day the fish over the winter time .... and people like me can book the hide/tent which is stationary !!!!!
    It is small private property and that is offering the option to shoot or film that lady ... for a certain amount of money .
    Due to the location. it is not possible to change or alter the setting . Distance and angle is what it is , as it all depends on the container with the fish . The KF will choose the closest point possible to that container ... wether it is a nice stick or even a camera on tripod , she will choose the closest point . If you change the angle of the stick ... she will land with her back to you and eat the fish . And so forth .... the best bet is a stick just upright into the air , but not very attractive for the most part .
    But folks with more experience might have a better idea .... but do not forget , I am a guest there not the owner .

Last but not least , if you think you can improve the given BG .... feel free to create one and make an RP . Wonder what you come up with .... ... same to Paul .

But with the next posting I will try to keep a closer eye on the BG .... albeit I think it is smooth enough , for sure not studio style

Dorian I hope I answered your questions .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks for your reply Dorian ...

Dorian I hope I answered your questions .

Cheers Andreas
    Yes, very helpful. I have a much better idea of how it works. I never imagined the fish were penned and the feeding so regular!
    But I guess that's the level of set-up this requires. Cheers!