Thread: Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured in my back garden, cropped image.
    Model Name : E-M1X & 40-150mm & MC14
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 270.0mm
    ISO : 1000
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/3200 sec
    Aperture : F4.5
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 02-05-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate the effort and timing it took to capture this frame, but I'm not sure you had enough light to pull it off; you needed more shutter speed and more depth of field. Being at ISO 1600 or higher
    might have afforded you extra leeway on one of both of those fronts. I hope you get another crack at this as it would be a showstopper in more permissive conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... I can only echo Dorian here , he has summed up my thoughts almost 100 % . Why the low Iso ??
    And I am surprised to see your greens that " intense " .... but I quite like the BG colors

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ... I can only echo Dorian here , he has summed up my thoughts almost 100 % . Why the low Iso ??
    And I am surprised to see your greens that " intense " .... but I quite like the BG colors

TFS Andreas
    Andreas this was taken some time ago so I was using different settings. The ISO?? - well quite frankly I do not look at it. I had decided that 1/3200 sec was fast enough, the aperture was wide open - probably just to gauge how much DOF I had and it would seem at his magnification a bit more DOF would have been beneficial. I would have taken others at f5.6.
    Regards the BG - yes I "enhanced" it a bit just to gauge reaction.
    I submit images to get reaction not necessarily compliments, I think we have all seen so many images now we know how to critique, I am more interested in people's opinion as opposed to predictable comments. It provides me with a wider range of thoughts so that I can not just submit what I would call routine images. Over the next few months I am hoping to concentrate on behavioural aspects and how I might enhance the subject... just trying to broaden my scope as it were.....I don't know if I will be successful but I will try.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The interaction is intense, in a good way. So is the background, but not in as good a way. This one overall is an "almost" for me, but I am certain it was a fun session...looking forward to the fruits of your next such ones.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jonathan reading the other comments to get a gauge overall. My initial thought was the background is way too green. That is coming from someone that likes vivid colors. But again this is even too much for me. I do appreciate your comment on trying new and outside the box.
    That is all we can do is try something new and different. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree the background is far too saturated.