Thread: Lion Cub over rules Auntie...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion Cub over rules Auntie...

Attached Images Attached Images

This image is from a pride called the Topi pride, two females with two very new cubs were concealing themselves away from the main group so we assume one must be an Auntie. The cubs we think are brother/sister, but no real positive ID, however they were just pure bundles of energy and fun, but when Auntie came over to say enough, one of the cubs wasn't playing ball, well that was my take.

Again, not being allowed to off road so had to run with where we were and accept shoot tight or crop, I chose shoot tight.

Andreas, just came back from Canon, interesting morning as some stuff in camera has been changed, but avoid using an extender where there is heat haze, as it will create images that appear soft!!!! Mechanical juxtapose to Electronic can create slightly better bokeh.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Cub vs Auntie (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO15000 EV +0.67 Auto ISO
    Original format: Portrait, very small crop
    Processed via: LRC 12.0.1 & PS '23 24.0.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve i would appreciate more detailed info .... if you have it .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrea’s, just had a few quirky issues, the main being heat haze which Canon advise now not to use an extender, it just amplifies issues and creates soft images… now they say! The others were minor, having not been in certain situations so just wanted a work around, but again it’s suck and see now.

Last year I was told re AF don’t think when using it, it’s like the DSLR version, it’s not, you have to trust it as it’s far greater in its learning and think differently ie perhaps skip AF single point and use say the cross with assist points, or BIF switch eye detection off providing you have the correct AF assigned and correct set up on the AF menu. Other stuff was minor as I said, as it’s battery hungry so have switch some setting off.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot good details. Colours look natural to me.
    These Canons sound like they are too clever for their own good too many lenses and bodies too many compromises too many mix and not match/don't match and then spend a bomb only to find out don't do this it goes fuzzy!.... and that's after spending a small fortune. The focus should work and not have to change this or do that increase or decrease, yes it can be argued it can be fine tuned but by the time optimum circs have been realised the subject is gone and next time round you find you have the wrong settings - or worse still there are so many variants you can't remember what what optimal for which circumstance. I suppose that's the price to pay for a non sausage machine camera. I am sure you will get optimal results for your camera eventually.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am sure you will get optimal results for your camera eventually.
    I'm not even go there Jon, but helpful if you keep to the image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I'm not even go there Jon, but helpful if you keep to the image.
    But you did I knew you would

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... nice interaction captured .
    Processing looks good with very nice colors rendered ... the SS was not able to freeze the agile cub . They are sooo cute .
    Shame about the cut off tail ...

Nice one and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andres, minor nit as it’s hard often to contain the action as you never know quite may happen. Anyway all good fun and nice to be there.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love what you captured here Steve,

Fully understand the conditions and I think you did great, also shooting vertical was a good choice IMO.
    Still learning about AF when it comes to mirrorless... when light is good all works perfectly with the Z9 but when conditions are poor I now switch off eye detection and fiddle with other settings, just too much to go into detail right now but I think I am getting thereSame issue with battery, does not last very long but I can still use the old ones and I have quite a few.
    Back to the image... this is such a treat, such a sweet intimate scene and I enjoyed viewing, tremendously. Colours spot-on and sharpness looks good, nice textures, great sense of movement. Good thinking in the field and very nice PP work. Hope you have more to share

We have had quite a bit of rain here...not sure how I am going to get to work tomorrow with all the mud... the prospect of slipping and sliding does not appeal to me... nevertheless I plan to go out and see what I can find, if I see anything special I will let you know

Hope you have an awesome weekend, will be in touch. Thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela for the kind words, can appreciate what it must be like driving in the mud, some mornings it was all about 'drifting', fun for us, but less so for the Guide in deep ruts and very sticky mud.

Yes good times had and a beneficial one, but that now will stay with me, unfortunately.

Hope you make the most of the weekend, Pete's fly tonight to Cape Town for two weeks with Ele's etc and has two images in the final awards, so fingers crossed.

Cheers
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Gabriela for the kind words, can appreciate what it must be like driving in the mud, some mornings it was all about 'drifting', fun for us, but less so for the Guide in deep ruts and very sticky mud.

Yes good times had and a beneficial one, but that now will stay with me, unfortunately.

Hope you make the most of the weekend, Pete's fly tonight to Cape Town for two weeks with Ele's etc and has two images in the final awards, so fingers crossed.

Cheers
    Steve
    Aaaaargh, so now you know what it's like for me to drive to work and back after lots of rain

Happy to hear about Pete's endeavours, he is an awesome guy and I have a feeling he'll come out on top, holding thumbs !
    Gabriela Plesea