Thread: Arrow-marked Babbler (South Africa)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Arrow-marked Babbler (South Africa)

Nothing amazing, just a (fairly) clean image of a bird that's difficult to get out in the open. This was taken in Satara Camp in Kruger NP.
    The red surroundings are layers of some sort of seed casing which fell off the overhanging tree. I'd not seen anything like them before,
    so I was happy when this skulker scampered across the organic debris. This was a quick/grab capture as I was unloading the car when this
    bird ran out of the adjacent thicket. I had about twenty seconds to grab the camera off the back seat, lay in the road, grab a few frames,
    and get up before another car came along and scared the bird off. Happy with the result given the species and circumstances!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/500 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz. Cloned a few bright spots to even to even out the fore- and back-grounds.

Name:  arrow-marked babbler 103122.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  528.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These one-off "grab shots" are often quite fun and rewarding! What a cool eye this species has. That sprouting green plant may be a tiny portion of the image, but its inclusion a major element IMO - so cool against all the reds and oranges. Nicely executed image in the spur of the moment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it....Nice pose on the bird with good details....The BG/FG colours add a lot IMO.....I would try reducing the reds a wee bit ....see how it looks....Very eye pleasing image...

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is awesome Dorian, love the colours here and pose from the Babbler - such wonderful, gregarious birds!

Well processed with great detail and the eye is superb. Nice framing and those tiny green leaves balance the image nicely and add a tad of interest, very well done!

BTW I am off to Kruger in May

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea