Thread: The 'Five Brothers'...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The 'Five Brothers'...

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so now back after an awesome trip with friends, a great craic, but very tough conditions, whether it be light and or trying to locate the subjects and we just wanted to target three key species in theory, but... Not having the luxury of off roading as in Botswana, was on occasions frustrating, but great to see the Rangers changing the policy of vehicles and not allowing Cheetah to mount vehicles.

This is one of two brothers left from a group of five, now over 10 years old they may be considered more elderly, but the mileage they covered was mind blowing, but the skill of hunting was at their peak having watched them take down a Tommy and I'm glad to say they managed to consume the whole kill without being harassed by Lions and Hyena. This image was on the first morning, both brothers had been sleeping in an undulating location, hidden from view from any staring Gazelle or prey that might have easily passed by.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1250 EV +0.67 Auto ISO
    Original format: Landscape, very small crop
    Processed via: LRC 12.0.1 & PS '23 24.0.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back, dear Steve

So happy to know you had some lovely sightings during this trip! Love this old boy... he is in great condition Well framed and nice expression too, what was he looking at?

Well exposed and colours look great. Nice detail as always. IQ looks good and subject pops nicely against the background. I like the warmth and vibrance, makes me take another look at my previous cheetah posts

Those amber eyes...so beautiful. Your processing is so good. Hope you can find the time to look at some of my Cheetah images, they need some oomph and not sure how far I can go...

Speak soon, thank you for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, just liked the early morning warmth on this one, with the dew on the ground. Some folk will want 'eye contact', but he was looking at a herd of Topi, around 200m away, but they just drifted off. Again, I left the grasses because it's all part of the habitat, however grasses were an issue at times, especially when the Cheetah were mobile. Time soon evaporated from leaving camp in the dark to when it became harsh, but heat haze was problematic. Even with intel from the night, it did take time to locate things, but all good fun. Nice to see you have them on your doorstep.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, your cheetah boy here has a cute expression, I did think he'd seen something...Just imagine all our images had 'eye contact'...that would leave little to the imagination...

Have a wonderful day, I'll be in touch when I can. No electricity here since 9 last night, a bit rough...
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot, I do find the orange coloured material in the background rather detracting, I think you will say this is sacrilege but I applied a colour layer mask and reduced the orange selectively whilst masking the cheetah and to me the subject becomes much more obvious/prominent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do find the orange coloured material in the background rather detracting,
    Jon, it's like that, yes as you say it can be tinkered, but why...? Absolutely minimal PP, especially saturation. so I'm OK, but appreciate the feedback.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... ah you have been at that location , did not know that rules are so strict and strong there .

Solid Cheetah portrait well composed , colors looking great ... as does the tones . R3 delivered fine details !!!
    No need to reduce a specific color if it occurs naturally in the image ... like the orangie stones/soil .

Grass is what it is .... albeit being not ideal in parts .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... ah you have been at that location , did not know that rules are so strict and strong there .
    Thanks Andreas.

Three times to Kenya, three to SA and six/seven times to Botswana, so a few times to 'Africa', but they really have tightened up, with Rangers vehicles hiding in bushes, or watching from afar. You go off road, hefty fine and Guide might get banned. We came across to vehicle at different times ensuring folk adhered to the guidelines and they make sure folk don't harass the wildlife compare to other locations. It therefore creates harder shooting positions/angles and you need to be creative before you get themed in like India.