Thread: What a difference a lens makes

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What a difference a lens makes

Attached Images Attached Images

The previous image I posted of this same bird was taken with a 100-500 mm lens at f/7.1 (wide open for this lens). The bird was about 5-6 meters away from me.
    This second image is the same bird on a different perch, but was taken with a 600 mm f/4.0 lens at f/5.6. Virtually the same background. Bird was only slightly more distant; about 6-7 meters.
    Background looks totally different.
    Small amount of canvas added at bottom to give tail a little more room. Bird brightened slightly and BG darkened slightly. Beak brought down slightly.
    Shot with an R5; SS 1/400, ISO 4000, f/5.6, EC -0.3. Processed with DXO PR, PS, DeNoise AI.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And that's why many of us are willing to pay for the 600! Killer image, looks great at ISO 4000. Only issue is the big clump of stuff to the right, but that's pretty minor. Was there structure to it or could it have been pressed down?
    I wouldn't care/ask on natural shot, but at set-ups you have control of everything!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    And that's why many of us are willing to pay for the 600! Killer image, looks great at ISO 4000. Only issue is the big clump of stuff to the right, but that's pretty minor. Was there structure to it or could it have been pressed down?
    I wouldn't care/ask on natural shot, but at set-ups you have control of everything!
    Thank you for your thoughts. Not sure if there was any way it could have been depressed. This water feature was elevated and required a small ladder to access the back of it.
    The cost of a big prime is one thing (fortunately I have owned this for a long time), but carrying it around, especially on airplanes, is certainly a challenge. However, every time I think of leaving it behind, I simply start recalling the images I have taken with it over the years and think, "I'd better bring it".

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi James, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Dorian's comment noted on the clump of lichen. Colors, exposure and detail look spot on to me. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great bird! Well exposed and good pose.
    Nice job on the added canvas. Yes, pity about that moss lump and the oof front of it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Colin and Joseph for looking and commenting. I absolutely overlooked this at the time I took this image. Now, I cannot look at the image without seeing it. The OOF area bugs me more than the upraised leaves. Will not make that mistake next time (famous last words).