Thread: Short-eared Owl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Short-eared Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I can't remember but I've been out 6-7 times in search of SEOs. Nothing to speak mostly but two times it was almost magical with birds hunting by me numerous times...once on Christmas and an other on a Sunday evening.
    Different conservation areas. Not as many spectators those days(I was the only one present on Xmas). I went to one of these locations on a Saturday evening and the only things missing were carnival rides and barneys. Nothing
    showed before sunset. I kept +250 images from those two sessions which at the time I considered as good as this image. I post a lot of my images on a couple of Missouri bird Facebook groups because if I don't... they'll probably
    die on my hard drives without anyone else ever looking at them. I'm always intrigued what images they seem to prefer. I obviously liked this image enough to keep it. I wished the proximal wing was a little lower and more exposed
    and the head turn a little more towards me. The Facebook crowd REALLY liked this image. It was partially cloudy when this was taken. The clouds would part periodically spotlighting the birds and this instance a few of the branches
    behind the bird. The rest of the landscape was in shade imparting a deeper hue of blue. I guess the background is a nice complimentary color to the bird and adds interest without being too distracting. What say you, wisdom of the
    crowd or run of the mill.
    Nikon Z9, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII, FTZ adapter
    f5.6, 1/3200s, iso500

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now there's some perfect illumination! Love the pose and the detail on the face. While not a full bank, we have just enough of the lower wing to make this work. The reeds behind work for me as they
    provide a suggestion of habitat without overpowering the subject. Composition works well with more right to right of bird, where he's looking. All-in-all very nice!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack ... a really stunning capture with even details in the dark mask .
    All does work very well and i love the almost painterly faint reeds contrasting so coll with the blue of the sky !!!!

Nice and cool work from shot to finish

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot, super composition colours and exposure. I would most definitely sharpen the face there is lots of detail there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, you've done really well here indeed! Great light, and I like those dark slate blues in the BG. I don't post on social media for likes, but it is often intriguing to see an image really take off on facebook and basically die on IG - and vice-versa lol.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding... Contest worthy.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a beauty! Love the light, pose and background.
    david pugsley PHOTOGRAPHY
    http://www.davidpugsleyphoto.com