Thread: White-quilled Bustard (female, Namibia)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-quilled Bustard (female, Namibia)

Back to Africa for a few final posts. When this bird came striding along the roadside in Etosha NP, I confess I got of out the vehicle (against the rules!) and crouched in the shelter of my door
    because I had to get the low angle! This bird inhabits dry grasslands, so this is a perfect depiction of bird and habitat.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 400
    Processed in LR CC

Name:  white-quilled bustard female 082022.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  432.2 KB

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, it was indeed worth bending the rules for this one! Great to get a female, not something one often gets as they are quite shy. No nits from my side - beautiful frame. I love the rich African sunlight radiating from the image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been really enjoying your Africa images.... This one is subtle and well done as usual.
    Did a bird identity search the other day about Goldeneye's and the first website that popped up
    was filled with Dorian Anderson images.....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hello Dorian,
    enjoyable to watch. Technically a successful shot. Beautiful kind of beautiful photo congratulations.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... nice shot of this species , i do like the typical arid look of Etosha .
    Pose is great and good that you broke the park rules to get this shot , but not really advisable ... as it could cost a lot of trouble .
    Comp is working well , as does the tones . Personally i think the yellow " cast " is too intense for my taste .... been there myself several times and knowing how difficult it is to find a decent color balance afterwards .
    But as color is subjective i leave it to you ...
    Still a nice shot and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, the composition and elements of nature surrounding a handsome subject are spot on for me. You continue to impress with these awesome species!

I agree with Andreas, I looked a bit this morning and played around in Lr with some adjustments and I think there is lots of room to temper the overall yellow cast. Sounds like a real bear according to you and Andreas but can be done I bet with a little massaging.

Hope there's more sir!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd have been tempted to do the same as you did...I suppose the "flippy screen" does sorta help if you can't put yourself directly on the ground. Perfect head angle, nice details, excellent sense of habitat. The yellowish theme here does not bother me here, looks natural for dry grasslands to me...but I suppose playing with a few tweaks could be a fun exercise.