Thank You Posts

Default Goldeneye

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/5.6
    1/5000
    ISO 1600

This is one from the old harbour in my hometown.....This bird took a different flight path from the rest....so I decided to track it..The BG is the old harbour wall, which was in deep shadow...The bird was 'just' in light...I reduced the shadows and added some contrast to the BG to make it even darker....Maybe too dark....I suppose it's different tastes....I think it's 'different' especially for a Goldeneye image..... A male bird with the whites would have been better I reckon....I'll keep trying, there are plenty off them...HH...ACR, Topaz DN and PS.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will ... the one winged duck is not working for me , at least not how you processed or presented it . Sorry Will .
    I feel there needs to be a bit of " detail" and at least parts of a wing in those dark araes .
    But hey why not trying it and see what the " peanut gallery " says to your creation .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I agree with Andreas on this one; we need the other wing. Also, the contrast on the body is great but the head is too dark and blends into the BG. Curios what it would look like if you lifted the exposure across the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with he others as well on this one Will. I feel the subject gets lost against that dark BG.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I fall into the I like it gallery! The bird is shown pretty well, it is a different presentation and as for the one wing - well you couldn't have gotten two from that angle! To get the two it would have to have been a different scenario so wishing what is wasn't seems a little pointless to me. The image as presented has impact and interest and it holds my attention.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting and refreshingly unconventional.

7. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, kudos in trying something different, but sadly it doesn't work for me either.

For me it's that missing wing, plus the light scenario just doesn't lend itself to having an almost jet black backdrop and the refine edging is pretty poor, very jagged. The head isn't too dark on a calibrated monitor, I think it all stems from the heavy blacks/exposure that has been applied and so when lifted and not showing signs of clipping a lot more comes back. I think this is about the size you needed in the EVF, I think this is quite a crop?

Keep trying Will, it's fun.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys for the comments....Yes Steve it was more of a crop than my usual.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well I fall into the I like it gallery! The bird is shown pretty well, it is a different presentation and as for the one wing - well you couldn't have gotten two from that angle! To get the two it would have to have been a different scenario so wishing what is wasn't seems a little pointless to me. The image as presented has impact and interest and it holds my attention.

I'm glad you can see it as I do Jon...Thanks for that....Yes only one wing was showing, the far wing was hidden behind.

Will