Thread: Pronking Springbok

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pronking Springbok

Attached Images Attached Images

The normally arid Kgalagadi experienced exceptional rainy season in 2021. Grazing was abundant and life was easy for the grazers. The herds of Springbok would spontaneously break into pronking, and I got the impression it was just for the sheer fun of it! The light was a a bit dull due to the overcast conditions, but it helped to control the whites. Head angle could have been better. I extended the canvas a bit on the left.

Camera Model: NIKON D850
    Shutter speed: 1/3200 sec
    Aperture: 5.6
    ISO: 1000
    Lens: 500.0 mm f/4.0

Processed in LR and PS. Thanks for viewing.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Chris,

You have no idea how much joy I felt viewing this frame, thank you for sharing. Been camping on the Botswana side of the Kgalagadi since 2008, love the place and its wildlife tremendously.

I too find the pronking behaviour both interesting and amusing, the species (especially young ones when excited) are able to make those vertical jumps of almost 2 m into the air, back bowed and feet held together, just like in your image.

Nice techs, composition looks good to me, always difficult to isolate the jumping bokkie from the others and in this case I think it's fun to see the little one in the background as spectator, looking at the main subject, I wonder what she was thinking

Colours I think about right, such is Kgalagadi after the rain A bit of a blue cast in the whites on the subject's limbs, easy fix if you like. Agree with you regarding head angle but it is what it is, glad to see the subject is sharp and some nice details in what we call the 'pronk hairs'.

Very cute capture, well seen and taken, good timing. I took great pleasure viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice colours and goof focus differential, good to see the hairs erect on the tail too! I would not fret about the head angle too much, you caught a magical moment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I'm really glad this gave you joy, I certainly also found the experience joyful at the time🙂 I'll make more sure of the whites next time👍

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate comments

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris a fun moment, but interesting with the BKG Springbok, it's not grabbing me, sorry.

The legs cutting through the body and the tail touching the legs, it's just a bit messy, however I do see the fun side of it. If overcast then the whites will be duller, currently they are almost bright white and as presented clipped, just pull exp back and reduce the blue too.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.