Thread: Coming Out

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon3 Coming Out

Name:  20221226-Common-Goldeneye-Drake-Wingsforward-Brian-Sump-BSR50961-Edit-Edit-SHARPEN-redo-vF9.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  567.6 KB

A Goldeneye Drake on the river in Colorado. If you've never heard the sound of one of these guys in flight, it is distinct and memorable to say the least.

I had to add some canvas but this guy was very close I wanted to take a swing at processing him at close proximity.

Canon R5
    600mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1250
    1/6400
    f7.1

LR and PS. Added some canvas and evicted a couple darker waves at bottom. * I did edit a couple things after originally posted, before any replies *
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 01-10-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous exposure and details. Perfect wing position and very engaging. Only thing might be to extract a bit more detail on the back part of the head, but that's so minor as to be insignificant in the grand scheme. Bravo.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot, perhaps a tad cold in terms of colour and |I feel the darker tones require attention... possibly contrast is a little too high??

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible looking species captured incredibly well - pin sharp, great wing position, stunning light, great body position. The blacks perhaps slightly dense but a very minor comment

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you gents. Appreciate the feedback.

Jon, I presume the black on the head is what gives you the ill feels about the darks/contrast? If so, it does for me as well. I did not process those blacks any different from the rest, in fact I brushed away contrast on the head and, specifically, toward the transition to green. I believe the effect of the iridescent greens butting up against the shadows in the head give such an effect. Not sure how else I could address that without the blacks there becoming too artificial but I feel the sentiment but I'll take a swing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Brian.....Great colours and detail on the duck.....Super flight pose....Maybe try adding a wee bit contrast to the BG...Saying that, the bird does stand out against the BG as is....As you said the sound of these ducks in flight is unforgettable.....My apartment looks over the old harbour, and I counted 130 yesterday evening settling in for the night...they come here every winter from Scandinavia ..My main problem is getting close...but sometimes you get 2 or 3 changing direction from the usual flight path...They are very aware and take flight easily as you will know....

Well done

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian a super cool flight shot , all works for me here in terms of pose , comp and pleasing BG .
    The tones looking good from HL to 3/4 tones ... but the blacks are simply too dense for my liking .Specially in lighting like this i would expect to see some detail in the blacks . But not possible when the histogram is climbing up the LHS ....
    I think the image would benefit from a more gentle approach ... might be just me.

Anyhow would like to say this is my image

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great frame Brian! Love the color in the head and understand why you processed the blacks the way you did. I agree anymore would look awkward. he bird is very sharp and wing [position is prime. Nicely done!