Thread: Florida Scrub Jay

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Scrub Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

The Florida Scrub Jay is endemic to Florida and endangered from habitat loss. I captured this image at Helen and Allan Cruishank Sanctuary in Rockridge, Florida in November 2020. The Scrub Jay is perched on a branch of the Scrub Oak. The Scrub Oak is a narly low growing bush/tree that grows is sandy soil areas and ridges, the preferred habitat and nesting area for the Scrub Jay. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/3200 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 450 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed using Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2023 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation, canvas added to the left side
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 01-10-2023 at 09:29 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good light offering excellent plumage rendition, I like the pose and the scrub oak bush. Perhaps a little picky but maybe f8 or so would have offered a sharper tail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, I think I remember this subject?? Seems to strike a recollection on this perch, could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the processing of the subject overall. Despite a slightly off angle light source, which can wreak havoc on perches with leaves it comes across fine.

I would suggest a slightly looser canvas with a little more bottom left and above right. Also, if you darken the pupil and apply a little selective sharpening on it that could draw us in subtly.

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Good light offering excellent plumage rendition, I like the pose and the scrub oak bush. Perhaps a little picky but maybe f8 or so would have offered a sharper tail.
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing and commenting. In this case I don't think F/8 would have changed much, the bushes and narrow path make close quarters. It was difficult to get the whole bird in the frame capturing it vertically.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Joe, I think I remember this subject?? Seems to strike a recollection on this perch, could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the processing of the subject overall. Despite a slightly off angle light source, which can wreak havoc on perches with leaves it comes across fine.

I would suggest a slightly looser canvas with a little more bottom left and above right. Also, if you darken the pupil and apply a little selective sharpening on it that could draw us in subtly.

TFS
    Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. You have a good memory, I think I did post one from the series that was very similar. I'll give your suggestions a try and see how the image looks.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice, Joe! I'd be stoked with this result. Yes to more room all around as others have mentioned. I hear Brian's point about the face; I might even add a bit of black to up the contrast in that most important area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with others comments about the space, but still really nice frame! Techs look great and detail is nice. Good work Joe!