Thread: Cheetah Stalking

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah Stalking

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello friends,

Here is an another image of the cheetah mom who sometimes visits us here in the camp. She recently discovered we have lots of impala with little ones so when someone forgets to close the gate or gate isn't working, she sneaks in.

Image taken just before the kill when she was busy stalking. Was unable to turn the vehicle around to capture the kill on camera because the cub was very close to me and I did not want to cause any distraction. They both looked a bit on the thin side and needed to eat, so I resisted the temptation to move...

Lighting conditions not great, it was overcast and the cheetahs were under the canopy of a few trees, had to overexpose quite a bit.

Techs:

Nikon Z9
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 4000
    F6.3
    +2/3 EV
    1/2000s

Thank you so much for viewing and I look forward to your comments and suggestions. Hope you have a lovely day further,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The head is well focused, my first impression was that the image and in particular the cheetah looked a little yellow but I suspect that is how it was. I like the attentive pose of the subject and the eye is well shown, the background is apparent but not intrusive. I like the image - it allows us to observe the observer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Thank you so much for viewing and comments! I think you are right, maybe a tad too yellow - I will take another look at the colours.

Not too fond of the busy BG but that's how it was...One moment she was lying in the grass and the next she popped up staring intently at the impala.

I'll send you a WhatsApp with a small video from this sighting, if that's ok

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, what a nice moment to capture! I can see that the light quality was a bit challenging, but you did well under the circumstances. I would tone down the yellows slightly. Sharpness and detail outstanding.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a really cool image and I like the fact the subject wasn't distracted by your presence. Crop works as does the overall framing.

Colour is pretty good, WB almost bang on, just say -2 & +7 or there about. Being overcast was in your favour, as it helped control the whites more, retaining detail so exposure was a real breeze. Also colour will be more deeper ie more in your mid to 3/4 tones so the fur appears darker in basic terms. I might also boost they eye just have that lovely richness to them. Get a bit more separation between the subject and BKG so it pops more, so you loose all that sooty black stuff.

Good to see you having more confidence in pushing theISO, sharpness looks good.

I've popped you a RP and some details.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Chris and Steve, shall take another look at this Cheetah image.

Steve, I did receive your email, much appreciated! Pleased to say higher ISO not a problem with the Z9 I just overexpose when necessary and keep an eye on the histogram.

See you in a bit...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you use the Histogram you shouldn’t be over exposing.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    If you use the Histogram you shouldn’t be over exposing.

I know what you mean, Steve But I am still looking at the histogram from time to time to make sure I don't go overboard with overexposing I did blow the whites a bit on the elephant's tusks...remember the frame I sent you recently
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, but you can retrieve, you know what to do, will leave it with you.

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

Here is an RP, did my best to give the subject a bit more punch and to soften (and lighten) the BG further. Steve, this is as close I could get to your version, once again thank you for taking the time to help, I so appreciate it

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Yes, but you can retrieve, you know what to do, will leave it with you.
    I do, Master Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I think your repost is bang on, nice work. Wonderful to see and know that Cheetahs are doing okay, so many birds are threatened. Lovely image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jo,

Indeed so many species are threatened these days.

Watching those cheetahs I realised how delicate and vulnerable they are. Beautiful of course, and built for speed...but unable to fight most predators and even vultures steal their food. In this case it was warthogs who came and chased them off their kill, luckily they managed to eat a little.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, the is a great improvement 👌How nice to have these lovely creatures in your backyard!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for viewing and kind comments, I so appreciate you taking the time!

And you are right, I am blessed to call this place home. Because of the nature of my work I do not get enough time to enjoy the reserve and its wildlife as much as I would like to, but those encounters every now and then are so special

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... i would leave the gate open at all times for the Lady

Nice tight frame of the mom at work ... i do like the concentrated facial expression and the ears flattened .
    I know you are feeling rusty when it comes to processsing ... but i would like to raise a question for you , would you not like to have more punch overall ?? at least in the subject .... this is processed very conservative on the tonal and color front .
    The RP does look a bit better to me ... but not to grab me stronger , might sound harsh .... just want to push you , my little siszer .

Image has more to offer albeit being shot under flat light .

Cool shot , wish this was mine

TFS yours Boetie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo Boetie

Indeed I am very rusty, and it's terrible...I just have no time to learn new stuff...or to even think what I want from an image. Just process, like a machine, not taking my time. Still have the dilemma whether I must push things to look good or leave it as it was or go somewhere in-between. I think the trend is to push things bit more... to look good for the viewer, and I do not mind...just stuck to my old ways, clean image, almost 'as it was'.

You are not sounding harsh at all, I am sharing to get feedback and to hear how everyone feels about the PP work. Steve sent me a nice version and I tried to get close to it, not sure I succeeded. I'll have another look and post another RP, I used to do that a lot in the past and we were having fun

Really appreciate your honest take on the image, and I'll be back with more Boetie...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good Gabriela ... have not pushed you for a loooong time
    Would be good if you have time for more ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I need the push every now and then Boetie, otherwise no progress. Happy to receive any critique, I am very humble as you know... and always kin to improve
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Gabriela, not getting notifications again so didn't see the RP, plus took another day out...

You know where you are going and where you need to be, will leave it with you, just need to get stuff organised now in the next few days... will drop you a line as and when

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morning Steve, no problem at all, speak soon
    Gabriela Plesea