Thread: Big Baby

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Baby

Attached Images Attached Images

Coincidentally continuing with a Channel-billed Cuckoo theme...
    Being a Cuckoo they lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and Pied Currawongs are a favorite host.
    Here is a Pied Currawong faithfully feeding a Phasmid (Stick Insect) to its beloved baby which nearly swallows the entire bird in the process.
    Rainy.

Another shot from the top deck.
    Canon EOS R5 EF 600 f4 III 1.4x III 840 mm resting on deck railing.
    1/3200 f5.6 iso 10,000
    ACR PS2023 NR (Neat Image 9), Crop about 50%, Curves, B&C, Sharpen

Removed some hanging bark from above the birds.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction Colin👌The cuckoo is an amazing looking bird. You did well to control the noise given the high ISO, I would prefer slightly more detail in the blacks but I appreciate the difficult light situation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This frame tells a great story. And ****, the cuckoo must be huge; currawong isn't exactly a small bird! I love that we can see the eyes on both birds. That's key in two-bird frames. The blacks are heavy, but you were really up against it with the light (already at ISO 10,000). Did the currawong go into the water to get the bug? And where did all the spray/droplets come from - the currawong shaking off? Just curious as it adds a really unique element to the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    This frame tells a great story. And ****, the cuckoo must be huge; currawong isn't exactly a small bird! I love that we can see the eyes on both birds. That's key in two-bird frames. The blacks are heavy, but you were really up against it with the light (already at ISO 10,000). Did the currawong go into the water to get the bug? And where did all the spray/droplets come from - the currawong shaking off? Just curious as it adds a really unique element to the frame.
    Yes they are large birds, I have some shots of it nearly swallowing the Currawong. As for the drops, it had been raining quite heavily so the foliage was dripping wet. Those Phasmids inhabit outer foliage and that is where the Currawong would have got soaked capturing it.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Colin .Apart from whar's been said above you got the whole sub tropical summer story in this frame. And sharp at 50% crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... a super scene captured !! Very well done !
    For me it is a bit tight and the blacks are looking too strong for my taste ... histogram show clipping in PS . There is a slight magenta tinge across the mid tones ... i would reduce it if this would be mine . I do like the overall wet feeling of this shot and the rain drops adding context .
    Wondering how you use Neat Image ??

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Colin ... a super scene captured !! Very well done !
    For me it is a bit tight and the blacks are looking too strong for my taste ... histogram show clipping in PS .
    **The blocking is patchy across the Currawong and with the poor light, no detail in the unblocked patches.
    There is a slight magenta tinge across the mid tones ... i would reduce it if this would be mine .
    ** Down to preference, there is always a tinge of some sort across an image.
    I do like the overall wet feeling of this shot and the rain drops adding context
    **Thanks.
    Wondering how you use Neat Image ??
    **Let me count the ways, depends on the noise distribution and type. I will sometimes add noise to certain areas so NI clears target areas.
    Most important, I watch the impact on the image sharpness as the reduction happens, adjusting if necessary.

TFS Andreas
    Responses **

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin for your feedback ...
    I am puzzled about your Neat Image approach .... do not get the point of adding noise , that does sound interesting .
    Which settings inside Neat Image , basic or advanced ?

Re color , yes down to preference

The poor light explains , maybe , the not glorious visible details in the dark parts ... but does not explain the clipping in those areas . Matter of exposure and / or applied contrast . We might see it differently on that front

Cheers Andreas