Thread: Red Squirrel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... my goto subject at times .
    Short drive and see if they are cooperative or not at that location , just a public park close by.
    I am always trying to capture these critters while moving to avoid the static appearance of the image ... but man that is tough business !!!
    Specially they stay in the darker parts of the park ... with not much light or it is super contrasty when the sun is shining .
    So i tried on one of the lawn araes to capture them moving .... again difficult ... as if you stop , they come quick to you hoping for food . Or if you move down to quick they do run away .... these little buggers .
    So i bumped up the SS to freeze motion ... as they move fast , 1/2000 is not fast enough even when they turn their heads around . So i dialed in 1/3200 sec ... to get something .

With hindsight i wish i had used the flip screen for lower POV , but it is ( for me ) more difficult to follow them .

Canon EOS R3
    RF 100 - 500 IS L at 260 mm
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 10000 ; 1/3200 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2023 ; cropped for comp and added canvas to the LHS as i was not fast enough for the perfect framing .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action captured here Andreas. Would have liked a lower angle but you did fine here. Good details for the ISO and the high S S did help freeze action. Love those little nails ! How is the 100-500 lens? 7.1 max aperture at 500mm isn't too slow ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev ... much appreciated .

For sure the aperture of 7,1 at the long end is slow ... and you will have restrictions in dark conditions , only one simple solution helps : bump up the Iso
    I really like the lens , even with the shortcoming of the aperture .
    image quality is top notch IMHO. AF lightning fast with the R3 .

Will post a demo for you tomorrow ... taken under dark conditions of a Squirrel . But a static one ...

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with your own critique Andreas, but a good exercise, hopefully fine tuning for next time. Getting lower would be far better, just resting the camera base on the grass, but as you point out the can be less than cooperative at the best of times.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .. always trying to learn and become better . Sometimes with more ... other times with less so success . As i do shoot them not controlled .... they are mostly unpredictable in that what they are doing .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

I would be pretty pleased with this if it was mine, not bad for ISO 10.000 and yes POV could be better but is acceptable, IMO. Any lower and the ticks would have been all over you if you were lying on the ground - BTW, do you have ticks in your part of the world?

Love the pose, those ear tufts, great colours and tonality. The grass looks like ours here in the summer, lush and green after rain. Those reds/orange colours of the squirrel so vibrant. Subject stands out nicely and some good detail on the face and those little paws, overall the image works well for me.

Thank you so much for sharing, I enjoyed viewing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty good Andreas but to me it looks like Fuji Velvia, the greens are too dense and vibrant for me. I am sure you will get used to the rear screen on the camera, eventually you will end up using it more and more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Jon for your comments , much appreiated .

@ Gabriela ... the grass is basically a lawn in that public park , i was sitting on the walking path while shooting .... and i think the greens are quite realistic . At least from my POV , but colors are subjective ....

@ Jon .... was not having Velvia in mind , and the grass looks perfect in density ( even a touch too bright for that time of the day ) .... the vibrance could go lower a touch , matter of taste .

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Andreas Liedmann;1273628]Thanks Gabriela and Jon for your comments , much appreiated .

@ Gabriela ... the grass is basically a lawn in that public park , i was sitting on the walking path while shooting .... and i think the greens are quite realistic . At least from my POV , but colors are subjective ....

I liked the greens. Same here now in December Would not reduce the vibrance, looks good to me as is.
    Gabriela Plesea