Thread: Northern Harrier (f)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Harrier (f)

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image yesterday at a stop along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/5000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed using Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2023 and Topaz Denoise AI, added canvas to top, right and bottom sides because I felt the bird was too tight in the frame
    Canvas added and bird rotated for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did well in getting the Harrier in flight Joe, but do you have a frame further on as this to me shows the nictitating membrane partially covering the eye.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    You did well in getting the Harrier in flight Joe, but do you have a frame further on as this to me shows the nictitating membrane partially covering the eye.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. I have others but not with the wing raised. I'll take a look at the eye, maybe I can fix it in Photoshop.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll take a look at the eye, maybe I can fix it in Photoshop.
    The only way would be to copy the head/eye from another frame and obviously declare the manipulation, I'll leave it with you Joe.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    The only way would be to copy the head/eye from another frame and obviously declare the manipulation, I'll leave it with you Joe.
    Hi Steve, I just took a look at the original/master file. There is a double catch light and a cloudy reflection when I zoon in on the eye. What you see is not the nictitating membrane. I think I will leave the cloudy reflection on the eye.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine Joe, my mistake.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a edit where the nictitating membrane or reflection is removed, not sure after looking again which it was. I did the work using the Clone Stamp in Photoshop. Also removed a second catchlight.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did the work using the Clone Stamp in Photoshop.
    Cloning can introduce other areas and id not specific Joe, I might have suggested:

Pick the Raw with the eye that looks correct
    Apply all the adjustments to it within Lr (which you use?) to match your original
    Output to PS as a Tiff layer above you Master Tiff file
    Change to Overlay and reposition so it fits over the existing eye perfectly
    Apply a layer mask and paint to reveal
    Feather the layer mask
    Job done

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1273446]Cloning can introduce other areas and id not specific Joe, I might have suggested:QUOTE]

Hi Steve, what I did was in Photoshop zoom in on the eye so I was working at the pixel level. Using the existing pixels that were not covered by the reflection or nictitating membrane I cloned them where the repair was needed, the same for the pupil. Not sure if it is the right way but I have always done it and seems to be the easiest way. Basically changing the colors of the pixels.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whatever works for you Joe and delivers the correct result.

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Joe....I would love to get this close to a Harrier....I like the flight pose and HA....Good detail on the bird....Did you get anymore frames....be good to see them...

Good work

Will

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the clone job on the eye looks good! Doubtful anyone would look so hard as to notice it if they weren't clued in to it ahead of time. My only suggestion is that the image looks a bit thin on the black end; I might try to change that to make it pop a bit more. But otherwise really nice!

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... RP looks very nice as presented , well done on the Eye doctor front .
    All works for me in terms of tone, color and composition . The slight head turn to the viewer is good

Nice one and TFS Andreas

18. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post