Thread: The Cheetah Brothers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Cheetah Brothers

Attached Images Attached Images

From Botswana in July. One of these fellows was injured, and lay on the mound licking his wound. He was joined by his brother who had been scanning the territory from the other side of the hillock, and came to sit with his sibling for awhile before loping across the plain in search of a better vantage point. The injured one sat and continued to lick his wound, emitting a kitten-like mewl from time to time. He eventually got up and limped over to join his healthy brother on a different mound whereupon the healthy brother took off in an unproductive chase of a gazelle.

a7 iii, 24-105 @ 105mm, ISO 500, 1/1000 @ f/14, manual, HH.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Bill, you must have been almost right on top of them with a 24-105 lens.

I like the composition with the subjects slightly off set to the right and habitat to the left, plus with the second one leaning out, but both looking at you. In addition the BKG tree isn't intersecting the head. Not sure why f/14, but maybe you were that close???? My only wish as presented would be more at the foot, it's a wee bit tight.

As to the image, it does appear dark with a colour cast of red which is muting a lot of the original colours captured and so you don't have for instance that beautiful cake blue sky you get in Botswana. In addition the subjects compared to the FG appear rather crunchy in their sharpness. taking yje image into Lr and just tweaking the Temp slider to say -12 and the tint slider to -18 and opening the exposure up by just under a third of a stop you start to see more 'clarity' in colour, obviously numbers are objective, I just go by numbers, where you then take it is personal preference.

Finally there is one dust bunny between the two trees on the LHS in the sky.

Hope the above coupled with the RP is of help and possible direction.

Overall a cool sighting Bill, BTW which camp, Shindi, Tubu...?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. I knew there was something troubling me with the color balance. Your repost is a big improvement. Dust bunny also noted. This was on a drive out of Shinde camp.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad it was of help Bill, thought I recognised the habitat.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill a really nice image of the Cheetahs , i do like the posing and the placement of them in the frame .
    Good separation from BG .

Processing does not look ideally executed , IMHO .
    For me it is too dark and the WB is somehow off , looks a bit HDRish to me ... and details are not fine rendered . You might know why ??

Still a pleasure to look at , but i would go different on the editing path

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Bill,

Love the pose from the cheetahs and the angle is just great. Frame appears a tad underexposed and colours somewhat muted, I think Steve's RP looks much better from this point of view.

Possibly too much sharpening on the subjects, worth another look? Overall a nice image, fantastic sighting! I like the eye contact, nice composition too.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas and Gabriela.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition very much, I agree colours and details are not ideally portrayed. The first thing that caught my eye was the Cheetah's coat, it seems to be lacking in detail, I would have expected more detail, I wonder was there any noise reduction or perhaps f14 is not a good aperture for the lens???? Becasue the shot is so pleasing I would be tempted to go back and reprocess, I think it would be very worthwhile.