Thread: Red Deer Hind

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Deer Hind

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... a difficult one to process it to get the " desired " effect .
    Shot was taken at a local area in the woods , animals are attracted by food around autumn ..... that people can watch the rut .
    I used the public hide to shoot this .
    My plan was to get backlit shot , well a backlit / sidelit combo was the outcome .
    During post i wanted to keep the BG / SH parts cool in color and the sun lit parts warmer .... inluding the reddish light ray in URC .
    After a short discussion with myself i also left in the distacting things on RHS what looks like spider web ...
    Wonder what you folks think

Canon R3
    RF 100 - 500 at 475 mm
    HH

F7,1 ; Iso 10.000 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 ; slight crop for leveling the image ; little gardening in the dark BG

THanks for watching and commenting to my latest thread

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Andreas, glad you can get so close, but the hide allows for this, our Roe Deer are so easily spooked, probably due to the shooters on the lands for the Game birds.

She obviously knows your presence with her stance, but still happy to chew away, probably spider, but very odd whatever it is, I would loose it? I'm wondering, if you get the opportunity like this next time to go -EV, forget the detail as it's in shadow and push it so more rim light. It's a pain that the 100-500 jumps to f/7.1... like the overall colour palette and cool finer details at high ISO, the R3 does rock, crazy some folk migrated to another Brands when you can achieve images like this, albeit I do see going for lighter kit is an advantage.

Could see it going a tad richer, looking back to the old days of Warm up filters, heavily used for Africa images.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Steve .... at that location the Red Deer is safe , no shooting taking place .
    Our Roe Deer is as skittish as yours , i think .
    I know before hand that you would say the stuff has to go .
    Going for a real rim light shot would have been an option , but i forgot to get it in camera ... maybe next time . At that location there is only a short time window to get this kinda shots , and the Deer have to be there at that spot .

I was also on that " warming filter trip " in the past ... think the filter for the 500 is still somewhere in my stuff . If i remember correctly it was in the mid 2000 years .

I tried to get more richness and depper tones in the RP .... i kinda like it more .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thinks its cleaner without the web, but.... Colours again personal tastes and at this point subjective, either works IMHO.

81A or is it B, still around, not sure available for the 500mm but it was the go to filter in the 90's to warm the image up, especially if you were on safari, albeit on FILM!!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes does look cleaner ... and colors are indeed subjective , i do actually prefer the RP .

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images work for me Andreas but I love the rich colours and depth in the RP, just more impact.

Pose is superb, nice framing too. A pleasure to view, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Gabriela !!!!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great to me I like the lighting and also the detail in the coat. Background noise is well controlled. Just for clarity my guess would be this is a female Red deer, it looks too big to me to be a Roe deer (??) As you might guess I would leave the silky spider threads there, they hep highlight the conditions in which the subject was photographed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... much appreciated .
    But who said this is a Roe Deer ???!!!

Cheers Andreas