Thread: Double-crested Cormorant Mega Drenching.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Double-crested Cormorant Mega Drenching.

Attached Images Attached Images

Well that is about the wettest I've gotten for a bird photo! It was drizzling for most of the morning, but then the clouds burst open for a real drenching. I used the flippy screen here, and crouched over the camera to offer it more protection from the elements - I was already fully wet, may as well just stay and create some moody rain images :-) Cormorants are normally very wary over here, this one chose a perfect situation to be accommodating!

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 6400, natural light (and water lol!), handheld, FF, contrast and saturation to taste - more more than usual to give the flat and washed-out raw file a bit of life. A couple of distracting raindrops near the face spot-removed out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

I think it is spectacular, dramatic and unique. The low point of view, coupled with the long focal length gives him isolation from the surroundings.
    I could envision a small crop from the right, but it works great as is.

I would have loved to have seen a picture of you after this one. I still have fond memories of your appearance after crawling around on the ground in Florida.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You picked a nice slowish shutter speed for this image; the raindrops have just the right amount of length to them. Looks like some tough shooting conditions, but you definitely came away with a keeper!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... a super cool moody image .
    Well executed and nicely processed too .
    A slower SS would have given an overall smooother effct , i hope you have tried as well if the situation allowed it .
    Love the low POV and the DOF spot on

NIcely done and TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very atmospheric Dan, I particularly like the boiling water surface, conveys well the strength/heavy downpour.

The R6 is weather sealed for sure, although this looks in biblical proportions, but hope you had a Lenscoat rain cover over that gear. You should send it in to Canon for Promo, folk might realise it doesn't need to be 24 degrees only when you can only take you camera out, mine was -34 in Finland going the other extreme!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work, Dan. I love the image but do not think I would be out in that weather. Very dramatic and unique as Randy wrote, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great environmental image. Especially love the water. Typical Cadieux POV; any lower and you'll need to invest in a snorkel. Well exposed and processed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking real good Dan....I can feel the wetness from here Nice pose on the bird and the BG works well.......Good work.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool image Dan! Love the downpour and the decisions you made on your techs. Well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with all the other positive comments. The rain and texture on water's surface makes this a very memorable shot. Super creative on a shitty day.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that it is raining, no? I love it. How did you protect your gear?

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lens and camera body with a rain cover - but that does not help with the flippy screen which I simply protected with my back as I hunched over the gear. The fact there was no wind really was a plus here!