Thread: Greater Kudu (Male)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Kudu (Male)

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice big male Kudu just going about his business, sadly can't do much about the odd stray bit of vegetation overlapping the subject in small areas.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Kudu (male) (Tragelaphus strepsiceros)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/6.3 ISO2500 EV -0.33
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 12.0.1 & PS'23 24.0.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve a wonderfully processed image of this gorgeous Antelope , yeah that´s what they are doing ... head down and moving when being relaxed .
    Apart from the bright strip at the top , which is not helping the image IMHO , i like all the color and tonal layers . Awesome fine details in the hide and do love all the different colors in the subject !!!!
    I do not mind the " obscuring " grasses in front as most of the subject is clearly visible

Very well done in post

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the kind words Andreas, the old kit still comes up with the goods albeit the 200-400 has sadly gone.

Awesome fine details in the hide and do love all the different colors in the subject !!!!
    Comes back to, if you apply any NR or if you do, it's applied manually and with a feather hand and not allowing Auto to take over the processing, as you know.

Apart from the bright strip at the top , which is not helping the image IMHO
    I could tone it down, but are we getting away from how we perceived it and the camera recording the scene....? You missed the DB in that area!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve ... for sure the old kit delivers in scenes like this , no complicated AF tracking or 30 fps needed . Even noise no issue at all ...

WE do get away quite often from that what we saw or what the cam recorded .... so i think the top could go via delete & and fill , regradless of your DB . Even if i missed the DB .... nobody is perfect , LOL .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even if i missed the DB .... nobody is perfect , LOL .
    That makes two of us.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful capture and wonderful detail on this gorgeous Kudu bull. Pose is great. I personally like the colours and tonality a lot, image is well processed and well composed ( as expected), nice exposure

Been seeing quite a few kudu in my 'back garden' lately, but did not have a chance to photograph them... either too far or buried in tall grass. Bob the Wildebeest is still around but keeps his distance, hopefully soon he'll relax and allow me to get close.

Shall be in touch again soon, hope you have a lovely week-end Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, they are awesome antelope and this guy must be around 6-7 based on the horns, probably a few hours prior to you joining us.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully processed , I can't help but think you worry too much about stray bits of grass - what's wrong with them - they were there and they are perfectly natural and might even be expected. I sense your images (baring in mind I have not been on line now for a couple of weeks) are looking a little more colourful, I am not suggesting too colourful, I rather like the colours as presented. From a perhaps unnecessarily critical standpoint it could be suggested that there is no engagement with the subject but of course that could be turned around by saying that your presence had no effect whatsoever upon the subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Gabriela, they are awesome antelope and this guy must be around 6-7 based on the horns, probably a few hours prior to you joining us.
    Seems I missed out on a few opportunities But so happy to have had the chance to spend some time with you, hope we meet again soon
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed.

BTW it’s -1, dropping to -3 tonight, light snow falling in London, not sure I might drive back Tuesday, contrast to your weather.