Thread: Common Ostrich (South Africa)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Ostrich (South Africa)

This bird was running towards our car in perfect sunrise light, so I yelled at my wife to grab my 100-400 from the back seat. She complied immediately, and -- in one fluid motion -- handed it to me while I removed my 600/1.4. I got the zoom mounted in a split second, squared the moving target in the the VF, cracked off a few frames, and hoped for the best, the bird running behind the car in that moment.. As this result shows, it was an amazing example of teamwork!

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II @ 200mm on EOS R5
    1/5000 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR and Topaz DN

Name:  ostrich 080322.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  593.1 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a team! Congrats to you, and especially to your wife...behind every great man is...(and you know the rest) I do like the overall light here, but on my monitor it does appear somewhat harsh in places, such as on the Ostrich's legs. I might also go for a tighter crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ha ha I actually visualized your teamwork while reading the caption. Composition looks great as is because we get a great look at the habitat. Just like shorebirds, the leg position is important and you got it here. If anything, I'd remove the tiny bit of shadow on the far leg. Good stuff man!