Thread: Lion extreme close-up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion extreme close-up

I'm pretty confident in most of my frames, but I really don't know what to make of this one. I wish I had been able to get a bit more of him (this is nearly FF), but this is what I could manage
    through the traffic jam and with my 600 (after I removed the TC). It feels like there's something missing. I think more of the mane above would have helped.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS R5
    1/320 at f/7.1, ISO 3200
    Processed in LR CC and and a very light pass through Topaz DN

Name:  lion face 110122.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  524.4 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm pretty confident in most of my frames, but I really don't know what to make of this one. I wish I had been able to get a bit more of him (this is nearly FF), but this is what I could manage
    through the traffic jam and with my 600 (after I removed the TC). It feels like there's something missing. I think more of the mane above would have helped.
    We have all been there Dorian, this is why if you can, most of us have two bodies to hand, one with a longer lens, the other, a smaller lens for instances like this. However, to me there is 'generally' time to back the vehicle up and track from a greater distance, so you could have shot where the subject was further away and crop, you have an R5 and so if everything is pin sharp and you crop to around 60% you should have enough pixels equivalent to the R3/6 around 24MP, enough for any Social media site.

I agree, the framing is not ideal, but I have seen worse, but to me, it's less about the cropping, (it is what it is), but it's the PP I find a bit off, HH that gear at 45mp at 1/320 is pushing things, which can in turn introduce some pixel blur if not rock steady. Overall the colour isn't great, and that does stem partly from an uncalibrated monitor because things can be way off. These guys are full of character and contrast, however I think it's lacking greater tonal depth, NOT achieved via more Contrast, so there is greater difference for instance between the lighter area under the eyes juxtapose to the rest of the face. The eyes appear much brighter, as if the Iris tool has neen applied with both being equal, one eye would be slightly darker IMHO. The nose and mouth are choked in the blacks, (that's Adobe color for you) which ramps up the Contrast/Black behind the scenes unless you change it. The sharpening appears a bit crunchy, probably through the amalgamation of Contrast, Topaz and the amount of any Output sharpening which is key.

Saying all of that Dorian, I would do a Virtual copy in Lr and just refine your manipulations as there is potential, it just needs a better WB start and a lighter touch in the sliders and with the latest version with masks you can achieve a great deal more than previously.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... indeed we all have been there , when being at a Lion sighting in places like Kruger .
    You need to spend more of your dollars .... to have a more or less exclusive sighting , or just a bit of luck in places like Kruger .

I do not mind the tightness as it does give some nice insight of this warrior of a Lion . At least his wounds and scars are telling a story of his life , IMHO.
    AS presented i just have an " issue " with the color ,, not my taste that strong yellow overall WB . But you process them " all" that way .... ( Lions) , so you might like it .
    I can see a version with the mane and BG darkened and have that pale face as a nice contrast , just a thought .

Or go even B&W ... but this might be out of your artistic thinking

Overall i like , but would process it differently

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, especially Steve with the lengthy reply. I looked at this frame just after I posted it and thought it looked quite yellow. While my monitor might not be perfect, any contribution that hardware makes to incorrect white balance is insignificant compared to the contribution my general lack of understanding of white balance makes. I don't use any measure of white balance during my processing; I'm just eyeballing it. I'm usually fine when shooting in direct sun (and have the in-camera white balance set to 'sunlight'), but I really struggle when I'm under cloud, even when I have the in-camera white balance set to 'cloudy'. I've also tried 'auto white' and haven't fared any better. My WB struggles aren't a monitor problem; they're a me problem. Knowing that, I'd appreciate any ideas how I can fill in my knowledge gaps. Interestingly, I didn't have similar WB issues with my DX2. It's only been since I switched to the R5 that my critiques have included comments about white balance. I'm having a very hard time figuring out how my current body plays with the software once I put the files into the computer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian shoot a RAW NOT a Tiff or converted file over to either myself or Andreas, it could be a camera set up. Colour hasn’t been an issue using the R5 for me, all settings are identical to the 1DX2 give or take.

Other things to consider:
    1. Camera set up
    2. Camera set up and calibration of monitor
    3. The above, and if you are using PS, then transfer setting from Lr to PS could be wrong, Under Edit in PS Colour settings might be incorrect and defaulted to ‘factory settings’, if you are outputting to web via Lr or PS could be wrong, again screen grab.

Dorian it could be a simple unchecked box and the only way to know is:

- Send a raw
    - Bullet point via PM your workflow (simply)
    - Screen grab if you use PS Edit > Colour settings window
    - Screen grab in Lr the various windows in Preferences under the main Header bar Lr > Preferences, plus Catalogue window too.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, you have my sympathy, in the past I have had similar troubles but trust me calibration and colour balance is the way forward, you indicated the image might have been a bit yellow but you don't know how yellow because you don't know the starting point on your computer screen, so this is why there will be inconsistencies between what you see and produce and what others see. The framing is a little tight, instead of having two or three cameras and lenses cluttering up the car maybe one decent zoom would do the job.
    (I am waiting for Steve and Andreas to rise to the bait!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I see you finally have ‘Tinternet’

Not sure what you want Andrea’s and I to bite on, but not calibrating kit as you say, just means no need for expensive kit and just shoot sRGB JPEG and post direct. Any time spent thereafter is pointless, as you are not playing on a level playing field and certainly not seeing the benefits of expensive kit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Jonathan Ashton;1273569
    (I am waiting for Steve and Andreas to rise to the bait![/QUOTE]

LOL Jon ... that´s a good one , i can´t see any bait to be honest . All been said from my side here in this thread

Cheers Andreas