Thread: European Bison

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks this is the smaller bull that i got to see during my recent trip to Zandvoort ...
    Just got hit by early morning light .
    Hope you like it

Canon EOS R3
    RF 100 - 500 IS L at 400 mm
    HH

F 6.3 , Iso 3200 , 1 / 800 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 , slight crop

Thanks for watching and commenting to my latest threads

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle is fantastic, Andreas. Really makes the frame. How did you get so close? Blind? If not, it is dangerous to approach this animal? You'd need to be crazy to get this close to an American Bison!

Regardless, the beautiful side lighting makes for a dramatic image, and you've captured wonderful detail across the face and horns, particularly on the snout!

I would clone out the blade of grass on the right side face (the left side of the animal).

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me Andreas and I love the low POV looking up. Agree, the blade of grass to the RHS needs to go.

Isn't the R3 awesome!!!!!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Works for me Andreas and I love the low POV looking up. Agree, the blade of grass to the RHS needs to go.

Isn't the R3 awesome!!!!!

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks steve for your comment ...
    I am not too worried about that blade of grass , but it could go with ease and the result will look cleaner .... the bull will be ready for the catwalk
    For sure is the R3 the best cam i ever had ... in most important terms , but i was thinking that about all of my cams over the years .
    Will work with the 1Dx as the second body ... until the R1 arrives , unless Canon is throwing the 500 with RF mount on the market .
    We will see ....

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will work with the 1Dx as the second body ... until the R1 arrives , unless Canon is throwing the 500 with RF mount on the market .
    I think it will be this time next year before the R1 is truly announced with Feb/March being launched in '24, Cr3 seems to think RF500f/4 will be next year, but I reckon around Ģ10.5k, dig deep.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    The low angle is fantastic, Andreas. Really makes the frame. How did you get so close? Blind? If not, it is dangerous to approach this animal? You'd need to be crazy to get this close to an American Bison!

Regardless, the beautiful side lighting makes for a dramatic image, and you've captured wonderful detail across the face and horns, particularly on the snout!

I would clone out the blade of grass on the right side face (the left side of the animal).
    Thanks so much Dorian for your kind comment , much appreciated .

The blade could go ....

A little info about the location and the Bisonīs .
    They do live in a fenced area , right next to the F1 race course of Zandvoort .... it is coastal dune area , protected as a nature reserve .
    There is one walking path through the area that one can follow ... and you can meet the Bisonīs along the trail if you are lucky . It is forbidden to leave the trail and the rules say do not go closer than 50 m to the Bison ..... . I was lucky they were actually resting 5 m of that path during my last visit ... they are used to human presence and they are quite relaxed . Area is closed for the public from march to august due to being a breeding ground for birds and the Bison does give birth in may as well . I would not go that close to a herd with youngsters ... or during the rut .
    The herd has a total of 25 individuals and is managed by local authorities , every year they relocate animals to another place and bring in new individuals .... as the area can only stand a certain number of them without destroying the habitat .
    It is part of a european project to grow the population of the bison across europe .... really wild Bison are only to find in eastern europe , as far as i know . Apart of one free roaming herd in here in Germany .... but they do cause a lot of trouble , and government want to finish that project .
    The European Bison was close to extinction by the beginning of 20th century , only a few animals were left in captivity .... in Poland , from that pool they breeded todays population . A really very successful project .

Cheers Andreas

BTW i did approach the American Bison as well on foot , in Yellowstone .... but not as close

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks superb to me, the tiny blade of grass looks just fine to me, the low angle and the manner in which you present the coat of the bison is enviable - well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... glad you like it