Thread: Peregrine youngster

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peregrine youngster

Name:  20221108-DSC08750-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME-LR-Edit-LR-Edit.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  569.3 KB

Having fallen gently on the ledge above the Pacific but not too near the edge I must have changed to 1/8000.I have tried to rescue this and like the tints that appeared on the near wing and perhaps the slight head turn has helped my efforts to recover the image of this two and half week old beautiful baby.
    These dives were too fast for me when the birds flew along this georgeous rocky coast so I had come down to just less than 300mm to pick them up

A1
    200/600
    @250mm
    f 5.6
    DxO DP
    HH.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you did well under the circumstances Ian and by accident going to 1/8000 worked in your favour, is this a big crop and what ISO as the BKG looks a bit grainy? I like the diving angle, but the head does appear to be less sharp than the feet, however these are like bullets so kudos in achieving what you did. Blues look a bit pushed creeping into the plumage and the file has an RGB profile rather than sRGB for web, might want to check your settings for output.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, I've never caught one in action so I applaud the effort.

Based on the shading, contrast and angle away there is certainly room for improvement. I also think the shocking blues could be dialed back a lot and improve things.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It took some serious skill to nail this bird in a dive, but the flight direction and shadow across the face are tough. I agree with others that the blue is too much. The rufous bits are lacking detail, so I'm curious if you did something to smooth those out. The legs are seriously sharp, so I'm not sure what happened with the flanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light angle certainly was not your best friend for this frame. The shadow across the face is unfortunate. Cool bird and diving pose - and I think the best part is the sharp tucked-in talons.