Thread: Red Squirrel just another one

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Squirrel just another one

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...
    a quick shot from today .
    Was a grab shot ... as i was on my way out of the location .
    Have taken rather classical shots in good light ..... and finally got the best " not classical " on my way home
    As the situation was not expected i shot this in landscape and had to crop it quite much ( for my taste ) .... added canvas to bottom and top

Canon EOS R3
    RF 100- 500 IS L at 500 mm
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 10,000 ; 1/ 2000 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2022

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your best squirrel image to date, Andreas Super cool and funny and you did a nice job with the PP work. Nice techs too.

Works for me as is, no nits, lovely textures and colours and such a great pose, well done

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I've looked several times and I appreciate this is more of a 'Grab shot' but for me its not quite there compared to say the Bison.

I like the almost, cheeky, yet inquisitive pose, but it's just the IQ and slight 'crunchy' aspect which is uncharacteristic of your images and why I have reservations, also the 'green' on the tree doesn't appear quite right... is it the Hue, or actual green?????? It's a fun image for sure, but there is something not quite there, and I'm not sure what it is.

Not sure why folk just look and not post a comment????

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

THanks Gabriela and Steve for your comments , much appreciated .

Steve .... i have not finalized my thoughts , after reading your comment . You made me think about the processing in this case .... all else is great to me , specially for a unexpected grab shot .
    The greens in the bark has been pushed a bit from my side . Might take another look tomorrow .... but i have lost some confidence about this image as posted .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve .... i have not finalized my thoughts , after reading your comment . You made me think about the processing in this case .... all else is great to me , specially for a unexpected grab shot .
    The greens in the bark has been pushed a bit from my side . Might take another look tomorrow .... but i have lost some confidence about this image as posted .
    Andreas, you are generally 'consistent' in terms of both your approach and rendering, so rarely when something like this is posted it's hard to know exactly what the issue (if any?). Most of the times it's all about cropping, colour, or bad techs with posted images, which is easy to pin point, but here, for me, I just think there is something... Pushing the greens perhaps, almost the look of 3D glasses where the red & green are shifted

It's a fun image and often missed, everything is too serious or formulaic so it's nice to see images like this. Might be worth a refresh next week with a fresh pair of eyes. It's just my take, so it could be me!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The squirrel looks OK to me, I like the limited DOF. The tree bark colours do look a little strange, you indicated you added canvas, I can spot what you did at the top though I must admit if you hadn't mentioned it I would not have noticed. The bark looks quite sharpened (though I suspect you didn't sharpen it) I may have been tempted to soften it very slightly.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... much appreciated .
    I am with with Steve about the overall look and " IQ" , needs a rework .... but will let it sit for a few days and then come back with it .

I am ok with the color /tone / sharpness of the bark .... and yes no extra sharpening of the bark , the bark looks sharp where the focal plane is . IMHO. And the bark had some slight green tinge ( in parts ) on it . I just pushed it a bit and changed the hue .

Cheers andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and image as a whole tell a story that grabs the viewers attention and that IMO always takes a wildlife image to another level. I hear Steve that something seems a little funny with the colours however i would take these colours and this image anyday

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice SpiderMan pose here Andreas, love the attentive stare, techs and overall quality first rate, just seeing a hint too much green tones in the bark, an easy fix of course.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks and specially Mr Detail ....
    Here is a remake of a gorgeous image .....

Thoughst ???!!! Kept the greens in bark as they are there ...

Cheers Andreas