Thread: European Bison Bull

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison Bull

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks went for a day trip to the Netherlands hoping to meet the Bisonīs and Foxes in two different locations close to Zandvoort .
    The morning was good with having two bulls in close range , but the big herd was far out barely visible in maybe 500 -700 m distance .... and only a few visible resting on a open plain .
    The afternoon was more or less useless apart from a few Fallow Deer stags along the hiking in a different location ..... no foxes to be found ... i was kind of disappointed . Met a dutch Pro who stated that the foxes had moved away from the " famous " location where i have been in the past ... he is leading workshops there . But he did not want to tell me the new location ..... it is Jeroen Stel , Steve might know him .
    Back to the Bison .... i met the two bulls along the hking trail , and had them for some 2 hours in close range . But they did not do much .... apart from grazing ( head down for most of the time ) . One of them was really impressive by itīs size ....

Canon EOS R3
    RF 100 - 500 IS L at 500 mm
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 32000 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2023 , no crop just remove one OOF grass blade that was really distracting

Thanks for looking and commenting to my latest threads

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colours and details really good, I like the OOF grasses and twigs. The horns look really good. I may have tried lowering the brightness of the grasses a little just to see the effect.
    They have recently been introduced in UK I hope to go see and photograph them one day.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeroen Stel , Steve might know him .
    Yep, does some really cool Kingfisher stuff.
    Very impressive for ISO32k, can't knock it, or the PP, very nicely done. Should the FG be tonally darker, personally taste, a bit bright, but does work collectively with the rest?????

Not had a chance to test any of the new kit, including this configuration sadly, but did get some new neoprene for them, however I'll be happy to get results like this. BTW there could be a Firmware update for the R3 in the coming weeks, ditto R5/6 perhaps.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Colours and details really good, I like the OOF grasses and twigs. The horns look really good. I may have tried lowering the brightness of the grasses a little just to see the effect.
    They have recently been introduced in UK I hope to go see and photograph them one day.
    Thanks Jon for your comment , much appreciated . Might try your thouights and see how it does look , but generally i am ok with brightness of the specific area . It will be a cosmetic thing ... as the grasses are that bright in reallity .

Had a reading about your Bisons in Kent , found it funny that they want to find out the impact of them to the forest .... there are a lot of scientific infos what they do to the environment from all across europe where they have been reintroduced already . They have been reintroduced very close to my home ( about 70 kmīs away ) and they are causing a lot of trouble with traffic , people and forest . Discussions going on of getting rid of them again .... folks do not want to have real wilderness in their front yards . As that herd is really wild not fenced , like the once in eastern europe where roam freely. . Some years ago i was trying to find them .... but did not .

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"Had a reading about your Bisons in Kent , found it funny that they want to find out the impact of them to the forest .... there are a lot of scientific infos what they do to the environment from all across europe where they have been reintroduced already . They have been reintroduced very close to my home ( about 70 kmīs away ) and they are causing a lot of trouble with traffic , people and forest . Discussions going on of getting rid of them again .... folks do not want to have real wilderness in their front yards . As that herd is really wild not fenced , like the once in eastern europe where roam freely. . Some years ago i was trying to find them .... but did not" .

Andreas probably a likely scenario here we are a small country with a rapidly expanding population there is not sufficient care/concern in this country for wildlife. In the final analysis it always boils down to money. It is human nature to spend money on humans because they think they are priority number one, the planet and it's associated wildlife are regarded by the minority as being essential. The vast majority of people are concerned about their standard of living - having enough for food shelter and pleasure, too many folk pay lip service to the fact that this country, this continent our world is under great threat. The threat is not really considered, seriously many regard all the problems to be caused by other nations who are the big polluters. It's easier to blame someone else. UK tries to show the way forward in some ways but I do not think it tries hard enough and I personally think that applies to most "rich" nations. I wonder what will be the benefit of the current COP meeting, what will change, what will happen to make matters significantly better? I bet there is lots of chest beating but what will come of it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Yep, does some really cool Kingfisher stuff.
    Very impressive for ISO32k, can't knock it, or the PP, very nicely done. Should the FG be tonally darker, personally taste, a bit bright, but does work collectively with the rest?????

Not had a chance to test any of the new kit, including this configuration sadly, but did get some new neoprene for them, however I'll be happy to get results like this. BTW there could be a Firmware update for the R3 in the coming weeks, ditto R5/6 perhaps.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve for your kind comment , much appreciated

Think the output quality is a mix of both , tool and operator .... at work in the field and at the computer .
    Regarding the FG , matter of taste but think darkening would work as well ....

Would be good to get some AF stuff from the R6 II .....
    AS when i photographed in the Netherlands , the R3 was struggling to focus in the eye .... instead went on the nose when shooting head on . Was really not good with the Fallow Deer ..... worked well when the subject was paralell to the sensor .
    Maybe with the new horse/zebra preset it might work better .

You will be happy with the results ...... you will see

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seriously Andreas you consistently push the ISO far more than me, just feel with the RF glass there is less of a requirement, but...

R6 II not for me, to much of an entry level and I find having the R3/5 that's more than enough and having updated everything bar the 500 last month I'm not in the market, but need to get out now I have come up for air some breathing space. Never had an issue with AF, the only time is where there isn't any contrast like the Badgers where the old school of AF shooting came into play. The stacking on the R5 is awesome, Jon would love that aspect, plus being able to see in real time DoF simulation. AF locks on so well with the R3, when the KF left the perch it locked onto the head perfectly and they are a real test, perhaps its how you have things set up. I've just changed a few things just to see, but 30fps or 195 why do you want more?

With cameras shooting prior, or after the even, plus Software that does everything for you except make tea, Photography has now become so easy and the 'art/skill' I think is now dying.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zebra settings are only for video, R5 & R3 have them, but not for Stills AF. Pretty sure it’s the same for the new R6II.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zebra settings are only for video, R5 & R3 have them, but not for Stills AF. Pretty sure it’s the same for the new R6II.
    You got me wrong , i was talking about the new subject preset in the R6 II ..... ( horse/zebra ) , should be better for shooting mammals . It does work with Stills

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seriously Andreas you consistently push the ISO far more than me, just feel with the RF glass there is less of a requirement, but...

R6 II not for me, to much of an entry level and I find having the R3/5 that's more than enough and having updated everything bar the 500 last month I'm not in the market, but need to get out now I have come up for air some breathing space. Never had an issue with AF, the only time is where there isn't any contrast like the Badgers where the old school of AF shooting came into play. The stacking on the R5 is awesome, Jon would love that aspect, plus being able to see in real time DoF simulation. AF locks on so well with the R3, when the KF left the perch it locked onto the head perfectly and they are a real test, perhaps its how you have things set up. I've just changed a few things just to see, but 30fps or 195 why do you want more?

With cameras shooting prior, or after the even, plus Software that does everything for you except make tea, Photography has now become so easy and the 'art/skill' I think is now dying.
    Steve the R3 AF is very good , but not perfect from my experience .... including operator errors from my side . AS said i had that numerous times with different mammal subjects that the AF ( animal eye af activated ) was jumping on the dark nose or the hole in the nose when shooting head on , you might have a better experience ..... and you might have set up the camera differently . I would say ... if i have animal eye af activated it should focus on the eye , not onto something else .
    Have les issues with birds though ....

However this is my experience .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got me wrong , i was talking about the new subject preset in the R6 II ..... ( horse/zebra ) , should be better for shooting mammals . It does work with Stills
    This has gone over my head, totally lost!!!!

Have les issues with birds though ....
    You must I'm sure have your set-up close to mine, but the R3 is great where you can opt for a AF zone and animal eye just works within that area, but with birds, just grab it, then hit another button to acquire eye tracking. What I'm not a lover of is Subject tracking.