Thread: Sparrow hawk, (female)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow hawk, (female)

Attached Images Attached Images

Due to my own work commitments I haven't had any real time to get out so here is one from this time last year, with the bracken providing a nice, rich bokeh.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Sparrow hawk (f) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/7.1 ISO6400
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC 12.0.1 & PS'23 24.0.0

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject. Wood pigeon is from road kill, or from surrounding farms.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Steve,

Clarity, color detail vs. perfect. claw part is a little dark. on my monitor there is very little detail like claw and black spot on the bottom.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Remarkable colours and details are superb. I can offer very little in terms of critique, it looks great. I suppose a tad moe at the base would not have been a bad idea but that is about all I can say.
    I downloaded and viewed in PSCC, when viewed against a grey or dark grey or black background one gets a different impression. I know black backgrounds look trendy but I don't think they offer optimal viewing of the subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Steve ...what a stunning and cool capture !
    Love the scene and the proud and protective looking subject , well timed shot .
    All looks good to me from the technical side and the presentation .
    Personally i would go for a little cooler color grading without losing the nice autumn colors .
    Blue channel is too clipped for my taste ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

claw part is a little dark. on my monitor there is very little detail like claw and black spot on the bottom.
    Thanks Volcano, but its in shadow so it will be dark.

I downloaded and viewed in PSCC, when viewed against a grey or dark grey or black background one gets a different impression. I know black backgrounds look trendy but I don't think they offer optimal viewing of the subject.
    Jon, have you tried one of the viewing options ie black from list at the foot? Not sure what you mean about 'optimal viewing'? Always best to have your screen BKG colour set to mid grey rather than a jazzy backdrop or a heard of majestic wildebeest.

Personally i would go for a little cooler color grading without losing the nice autumn colors .
    Agree, but folk here like rich values, always happy for you to do a RP as it conveys much more when coupled with the words.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a real dandy. I love the bird's stare, pure background and complimenting colors. Really nice, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always best to have your screen BKG colour set to mid grey rather than a jazzy backdrop or a heard of majestic wildebeest.
    Yes that is precisely the point I was trying to make. Black backgrounds give a false impression as do white ones........ for the majority of natural history images that is. Seeing is believing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

‘Seeing is believing’ - that’s a bit profound.

Sadly the framework of the architecture only allows white or black Jon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good here Steve....I can't find anything that I would change....Love the mantling pose....The BG colours are very nice and show the bird well...The scattering of feathers add....

Good work

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Will.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me as is Steve. Love that BG. I could see this framed and hanging on my wall. Unsure about "blue channel clipped" comment from Andreas...colours look amazing to me. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Paul, there is a very small area of Blue that is against the LH side axis, however the Histogram is not indicating any clipped areas rather than in Curves, therefore it's only in the darks/shadows which in very minimal, it's not concealing a lot, doubt it. For me, it's where you can see solid areas of clipped, is time to worry or at print stage.

Cheers
    Steve