Thread: Loggerhead Shrike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loggerhead Shrike

Attached Images Attached Images

Last Monday morning Dottie and I took a ride to Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida where I captured this image. The profile view displays the large head in relation to the body which the bird is named from. I realize that some may wish for a natural perch rather than barbed wire fence but the bird loves and choose it. After catching a lizard, grasshopper or other prey it flies back to the barbed wire fence and impales the prey on the bard to secure it while eating. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, Handheld shooting through open vehicle window
    1/2500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 4500 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2023 and Topaz Photo AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have the same here they like those barbed fences. Wire looks new all of ours are rusted. Nice detail and great Ha. Maybe just a touch of blue color cast on the breast. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good profile, light and detail. Behavior is similar to Australian Butcherbird which lodges its prey in a narrow branch fork.
    I wonder what the shrikes did before barbed fences?