Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held image. here the dominant stag was strutting his stuff, inhibiting any competition.
    I felt the angle was less than ideal but not much I could do as I was on higher ground at the time.

OM-1 40-150mm & MC14
    ISO 250, 1/2500, f4.5

ACR/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-23-2022 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Original image rather flat. This is a new image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... what a proud looking stag !!!
    You captured him nicely on its way , well done .
    Overall ,i quite like the presentation ... not much you could have done regarding the higher shooting angle and i do not see a problem with it . Details , tone and overall sharpness / color are looking good .
    Personally i think the blues could be tamed and the LRC can go lighetr

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ... what a proud looking stag !!!
    You captured him nicely on its way , well done .
    Overall ,i quite like the presentation ... not much you could have done regarding the higher shooting angle and i do not see a problem with it . Details , tone and overall sharpness / color are looking good .
    Personally i think the blues could be tamed and the LRC can go lighetr

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas, I was fairly happy but thought something slightly amiss. As soon as you mentioned blues I could see what you meant.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose from this deer, Jon. Great timing.

Composition is ok... but I wonder if a more pano crop would eliminate the white line/path at the top of the image? Just a bit off the top?

Good techs and subject pops nicely against the BG. Nice detail too. Agree with Andreas on the blues.

Nice detail. And I don't mind the angle at all, works for me as is.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, perhaps a little bit of planning ahead as you walked towards the subject so you didn't have the elevated POV, however you perhaps avoided the head on walk towards the subject? The blue bias is a quick fix, but I personally dislike that lower RHC in shadow. Colour of the subject and sharpness appear good, but the eye conveys an unease of the Stag and to me he feels threatened IMHO.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, perhaps a little bit of planning ahead as you walked towards the subject so you didn't have the elevated POV, however you perhaps avoided the head on walk towards the subject? The blue bias is a quick fix, but I personally dislike that lower RHC in shadow. Colour of the subject and sharpness appear good, but the eye conveys an unease of the Stag and to me he feels threatened IMHO.

TFS
    Steve
    I hear you Steve but I don't really think he was that threatened he just continued in the same trajectory without deviation and chased off the young buck. I think he was merely making a quick glance at me to ensure I wasn't worth chasing! I do note they can be cantankerous and unpredictable, I ensured there were sufficient fallen trees and branches I could hide in should it have become necessary.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the curious look (and maybe sniff) he's giving you. I think it lends nice connection to the subject. Blue issue as mentioned; my original thought was that the whole frame looked 'cold'. I think that's the another way of saying the same thing, but I'm sure the processing aficionados will chime in on that distinction. I hear what Gabriela means about the white line across the top, and I'm with Steve on the shadowed front leg. Sometimes you just have to shoot without a perfect plan and see what returns, right?