Thread: Oryx

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Oryx

Nothing terribly special, just a nice view of my favorite African antelope (at least among the standard set I saw in ZA and Namibia).

Hardest part of this capture was minimizing the road which an through the background! Fortunately, some taller grasses helped minimize
    it along this stretch.

Tried to back off a bit in the field to have more room around the animal, but the 'foot-zoom' with the 600 failed miserably, the animal
    turning and walking straight away from me when I tried to trade this position for another.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS R5
    1/2000 at f/5.6, ISO 640
    Processed in LR CC

Name:  oryx full body side 081122.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  394.9 KB

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did a good job with the road, the ground area looks good to me. I am unsure of the overal colour palette - maybe the time of day you took the image,,,,, but sorry the colours don't float my boat. The shot of the oryx appears sharp and well exposed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    You did a good job with the road, the ground area looks good to me. I am unsure of the overal colour palette - maybe the time of day you took the image,,,,, but sorry the colours don't float my boat. The shot of the oryx appears sharp and well exposed.
    Interesting what you say about the colors. I went colder than usual since it seems like I've been getting 'too yellow' feedback on several of my recent images. This is closer to where this started......
    Name:  oryx full body side 081122.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  423.8 KB

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Dorian,

Thank you for sharing this lovely image of a male gemsbok/oryx - my favourite antelope!

IMO nothing wrong with the 'golden' look of this image, I have seen such light sometimes in the Kalahari, usually late afternoon.

Subject looks good with nice detail and stands out beautifully against the background. Don't mind the grasses, they are part of the environment.

Good head angle and I like the detail on the horns. Good techs and well exposed. Nice PP work overall and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea