Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the boss stag, he had just been chasing off a young buck and he was making a sideways glance toward me. I appreciate he is quite dull, I made several different versions of this (increasing exposure on the stag) but I think this is reasonabbly close to reality. I am deliberately submitting images open to iterpretation so if anyone wishes to process the raw file just let me know. I have added absolutely minimal sharpening, in my browser I feel it needs more but I thought it looked ok in PSCC.

OM-1 40-150mm & MC14
    ISO 3200, 1/2500 sec f5.6

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the bellowing posture Jon, shame it's more in shadow, but... you still have detail/shape/form. Does it need a little more in the Temp & Tint just to even things out, perhaps?

I have added absolutely minimal sharpening, in my browser I feel it needs more but I thought it looked ok in PSCC.
    Looks good in Lr, well exposed, nothing clipped, sharping also looks good but that is at the true size 4.7 inches and you have more room at the foot too great.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve what's this true size you keep referring to? The original image shape is 3:4. Are you saying the image is incorrectly presented - do I need to change anything?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve what's this true size you keep referring to?
    The size you have cropped too is 1666px (a bit odd), therefore when viewed at 100% it's only 4.7 inches wide, so when posted the image must be scaled up.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... what a rack !!!
    Cool pose and nice bellowing , very well captured .
    If you want to stay " natural " you did well ( including colors ) ... personally i would go " off route " and process for my eyes and liking . But your call .

Nice capture Jon and TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive beast! Bugling (I think that's what it's called ) pose is very nice, and you salvaged some nice detail despite the overpowering shade. Lovely setting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    The size you have cropped too is 1666px (a bit odd), therefore when viewed at 100% it's only 4.7 inches wide, so when posted the image must be scaled up.
    Scaled up to what, I am not understanding really. From what I recall I made the image 1250px tall simply because it fits the screen (27") without having to scroll etc, I let the width look after itself. I view the image at 100% once cropped - don't you..... you are puzzling me.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-21-2022 at 04:48 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, you are really over complicating it, all I was saying was that when viewed at 100% the image is only 4.7 inches big and so sharpening can only be based on the output size of 4.7 inches. Hosting on the web must scale up the image.

Not sure I can simplify it any more, however if its still not clear call me.