Default Fallow deer (Dama dama)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held image
    OM-1 40-150mm & MC14 (230mm fff equiv)
    ISO 2000 EV-0.3, 1/1600sec f4

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great pose Jon, well timed. You dropped unlucky with the dark colouring in the neck and head which gets a little lost in the foliage, not sure if you can do much about that though. Good to see the Fallows getting in on the action

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, perhaps moving more to your left I feel would have helped here, but I'm guessing this was a 'spur of the moment' capture:

FG branch not clipping the leg, BG branch, not adding a HL light, could be toned back
    Better light on the subject, especially on the head
    Less of the 'Gentleman' area, a bit bit 'in your face'

Detail could be enhanced a tad more, did you do any HL recovery on the LH leg, looks a bit hot. The head/neck being in shadow is not ideal, did you lighten the head/neck area? I would loose the spherical item in the BKG, could be deemed as if he's lost something. The Blue in the darks is heavily clipped and the two white dots need addressing just by the rack. Is he going for the Acorns?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike, I agree the head and neck are less thsn ideally illuminated.
    Steve, I agree the branches are not ideally located, I did recover HL and darks maybe I could have done a little more, I left the desbris as it was because I felt I could soon dig myself a hole which I may not get out of, though the spherical object and the sky could easily be dealt with, but in view of all the twiggery as it were I didn't think it was really worth it. Th eimage was maent to convey limited carnage as it were.
    Not much I can do about his equipment, he's big boy.
    He was eating acorns and also the leaves, he appears to have cleaned up his antlers of velvet.
    I'll have a another look at the blue in the darks, I thought I had eliminated it - I must be mising a trick!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,
    Nice pose from the deer, really like the behaviour aspect you captured. Lighting conditions not ideal and I wish the face was better lit... although must admit, detail is not bad at all and I like the visible eye
    Colours look good to me. A few distracting elements in the lower part of the frame, would lessen the brightness where possible. The branch in the FG is not very pleasing but I suppose nothing you could do about it.

Thank you so much for sharing, hope you have a lovely weekend,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I'll have a another look at the blue in the darks, I thought I had eliminated it - I must be mising a trick!
    The blue channel is clipped on the dark side of the histogram , nothing to eliminate .... in terms of color . Check the blue channel .... no details in the dark parts . Thatīs what Steve is referring to ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... another very cool image of this species .
    Love the behavioral aspect captured , well timed shot .
    I think it is tough to create a decent image in post .... but you did quite well overall , albeit i would try to make more out of izt .

TFS Andreas