Thread: Osprey with fish and menacing look

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey with fish and menacing look

Attached Images Attached Images

It's been nice to have quite a few Osprey photo opportunities over the past few days. Here's just one. It was an overcast morning, not a nice sky, so I stuck with the high key idea. The look on this Osprey's face says "don't mess with me!" Basic adjustments in ACR and PS. N/R in Topaz photo AI.

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f7.1, iso2000.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I've looked at this a few times now, so...

I like the pose, strong stare, nice curved wing edges and the catch you can see very clearly, all components are there, but the capture is very similar, if not identical to Colins. Being on a white backdrop I think the capture was under exposed, the plumage has a slight coarseness as if the file has been lifted/lightened and is there critical sharpness there, not sure, again is the a big crop?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. Yes, a fair crop. I only adjusted the white and black points as well as lightened the shadows a little, but I agree that the IQ has suffered somewhat perhaps due to the crop. I appreciate your keen eye and feedback. Cheers.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. Yes, a fair crop. I only adjusted the white and black points as well as lightened the shadows a little, but I agree that the IQ has suffered somewhat perhaps due to the crop.
    As I said to Colin, you needed to be in the +EV, basically you can blow the BKG, but the subject is exposed correctly and I bet you can still recover some tone in the BKG, it's not completely white. When it shows in the back of the camera it's not the Raw but a preview JPEG the camera creates and even if you do blow it, I bet Raw digger will indicate you have fallen short.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose, action, and composition, but the IQ is suffering for the reasons Steve mentioned. I agree with him about blowing the background on these sorts of high key shots; it's really the only way you can correctly expose the much darker subject. That's exactly what I had to do on my KF headshot from a few days ago.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve: yes, I know it's a jpg preview and I do use RawDigger, but didn't check it with the raw image, but yes...just checked and it is around 1 stop underexposed. I did try to recover some tones in the BG, but didn't like the grey, so aimed for white. Thanks again.
    Dorian: Thanks and points noted. Cheers.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 10-07-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nicer frame, love the fish and the high key exposure is right on the money. good details too

TDFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash. Thanks so much for the feedback...much appreciated