Thread: Oryx-scape (Namibia)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Oryx-scape (Namibia)

Yeah, the beast is far away, but I couldn't resist it in the wide open surrounds. I'm sure opinions will vary, but it was fun to try for something different.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 400
    Processed in LR CC

Name:  oryx running far 081122.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  519.7 KB

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it - well worth taking the time. I wonder if you could bring out a little more detail in the hills in the background?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Dorian,

What lovely sighting! Something different and I really like what you captured. Composition works for me. I would also try a pano, just to have another version. Nice colours too. Interested to see an RP with Jon's suggestion - so much you can do with this frame
    I might sharpen the subject a tad further... other than that no nits, curious whether you have another image from this sequence where the Gemsbok/Oryx is still, I think I will like it just as much.
    Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed viewing and really pleased to see you post here in the Wildlife Forum!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What IS Mode did you have set on the 600 Dorian?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    What IS Mode did you have set on the 600 Dorian?
    2 (my default) unless I accidentally bumped it! Why?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Jon. Curious how I might go about getting more BG detail as I'm usually striving for less! The backing hills were at least 5 miles in the distance, so I'm not sure if that changes your thinking. Any pointers appreciated!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The reason I ask is that Mode 2 is panning and I was hoping to see more of a panning image, ie Oryx sharp, with the BKG/FG sneaked to highlight motion. Personally Would like to see the subject a tad more into frame, just a sliver. Doesn't look sharp at 1/4000 but it could be heat haze that has has some effect????? Think it needs a bit more punch to give the image depth & separation.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    The reason I ask is that Mode 2 is panning and I was hoping to see more of a panning image, ie Oryx sharp, with the BKG/FG sneaked to highlight motion. Personally Would like to see the subject a tad more into frame, just a sliver. Doesn't look sharp at 1/4000 but it could be heat haze that has has some effect????? Think it needs a bit more punch to give the image depth & separation.
    When it's 90 degrees and I'm shooting through 200 yards of air, this is about the IQ I'd expect. I'm not bothered by it here as the image is more about the scene than the subject. But yeah, for a subject-forward image this IQ wouldn't cut it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love a good animal-scape so this works for me. Perfect timing on the feet all being up in the air. Not sure how much detail you expect to see on a small in frame image - looks fine to my eyes but I prefer to look at the overall shot rather tan concentrate on single hairs.

Jons point in interesting - normally for portraits we go all out for smooth backgrounds, but with the distant hills here being so important to the shot then maybe pulling more out from them will work well

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... gorgeous frame and a super " animal scape " image .
    The Oryx as sharp as it can be under the given shooting conditions .... IMHO.
    Can see a version with a more of an artistic approach , FG and hill side being darker via a gradient .

TFS Andreas