Thread: Crested Barbet (South Africa)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Barbet (South Africa)

Whew - just wrapped a 10-day California birding tour with 7 clients! I've got three weeks of downtown, then it's back to South Africa for a 10-day photo trip with a single client. I'm nowhere near getting through my batch from this summer, so I'm gonna be furiously posting those before I capture a fresh batch on this upcoming trip!

This was another roadside result from Kruger as captured out the window of my rental car. Didn't get to pick the perch, but I'll take it!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/320 at f/5.6, ISO 3200
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz DN. Cloned a few monkey(?) poops on the perch

Name:  crested barbet 072122.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  481.3 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Commonly known as the 'Fruit Cocktail' bird Dorian because of it's multi-coloured plumage, as per the 'Flying Banana' & 'Flying Chilli Pepper', I'll let you guess which they apply too.

Good that you managed a clear backdrop and the perch is what it is. Nice hard turn, and reasonable detail, there is more especially in the darks, unfortunate about the tail on that OOF stump, be great if it wasn't there but that's Africa.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely superb, I like the perch - it doesn't look like a set up! Colours overall just fantastic.... a really enjoyable image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot and I actually like the perch, very rustic. You were given some nice soft light too. I reckon if it were mine I would have cloned a small gap between the tail tip and oof perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the colors of the bird and the great head turn gives the image life. I'm with Colin on learning up the merge of the tail with the bit of the perch that is higher than the rest of it.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian. What a colourful bird! Love the details, BG and I'm fine with the perch. I'm undecided with regards to the tail/oof perch bit...possible to 'fix' in PS, but maybe not worth the trouble.